Match Preview: #TBRvNC
Tampa Bay Rowdies vs. North Carolina FC
Saturday, June 7, 7:30 p.m. ET
Al Lang Stadium, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Follow us for live updates on Twitter at @RowdiesGameday
Tickets for Saturday's match are available by calling (727) 222-2000 or clicking here. Gates will open at 6:30 p.m., 60 minutes before kickoff.
How to Watch
The match will be broadcast online on ESPN+ here. International viewers can watch online here.
Tampa Bay: 8-0-5 (W-L-T), 1st place; 4-0-3 at home
North Carolina: 5-2-5 (W-L-T), 7th place; 3-2-2 on road
The Tampa Bay Rowdies return home to open a short two-game homestand against North Carolina FC on the back of four consecutive wins in USL Championship play, tying a modern era club record for consecutive wins in league play. The previous record was set in June and July of 2012. The Rowdies are unbeaten in 13 league matches this season.
Tampa Bay continues to set the standard for defensive play in the league. The Rowdies did not concede a single league goal in any of the four matches they played in the month of May. In league play, Tampa Bay hasn't conceded since the 11th minute of a 1-1 draw against the Charlotte Independence on April 27, 529 minutes of play ago.
John McCarthy leads the league in clean sheets (9) and leads the Eastern Conference in saves (35.) His save percentage of 89.7% is far and away the best in the league. Among the top 20 goalkeepers in saves, the next best save percentage is North Carolina's Alex Tambakis at 78.4%. McCarthy was named to the USL Championship Team of the Week for the second time this year on Tuesday for a four-save performance last week in Birmingham, including a penalty kick save.
The Rowdies are tied for third in the Eastern Conference offensively with 20 goals to date. New York leads the pack with 27. The Rowdies do it without creating a ton of shots on target as Tampa Bay's conversion rate of 18% is tied with Loudoun United FC for best in the East.
Rowdies forward Malik Johnson made his first start in league play last week in Birmingham, playing at right wing back. He played a big role in both Rowdies goals, with the unofficial secondary assist on Sebastian Guenzatti's opener and the assist on Andrew Tinari's goal.
Tampa Bay is a little banged up after playing seven games in 32 days between May 1 and June 1. Leo Fernandes missed the Legion FC match with hamstring tightness while Andrew Tinari exited the match early with groin tightness. Both are questionable for Saturday night's match.
DOUBTFUL - Jaime Siaj (quad strain)
DOUBTFUL - Yann Ekra (ankle)
DOUBTFUL - Shawn Barry (ribs)
QUESTIONABLE - Leo Fernandes (hamstring)
QUESTIONABLE - Andrew Tinari (groin)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 7, 2019
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-1 against New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Three Things to Know About Sunday's Nashville SC Match at Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Legion FC Match Preview - Birmingham Legion FC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Reno 1868 FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Three Upcoming Bethlehem Steel FC Matches Moved to Alternative Locations - Philadelphia Union II
- North Carolina FC Closes Three-Game USL Road Trip on Saturday Versus Tampa Bay - North Carolina FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - June 8, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Returns to AutoZone Park Tomorrow as It Hosts Eastern Conference Foe Indy Eleven - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Toros Face Monarchs in Utah - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Match Preview: San Antonio FC v Reno 1868 FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Nashville SC to Host Women's World Cup Watch Parties as Part of "Fan Jam Series" - Nashville SC
- Canadian National Team Player & MLS Veteran Dejan Jakovic Joins Lights FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Defender Neveal Hackshaw to Represent Trinidad & Tobago at CONCACAF Gold Cup - Indy Eleven
- Nashville SC Hosts Second Annual Trivia Cup at Bavarian Bierhaus - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: #TBRvNC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Energy FC Wrap up Road Trip Tomorrow in Fresno - OKC Energy FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Welcomes Rio Grande Valley FC to Herriman for Pups at the Pitch Night - Real Monarchs SLC
- U.S. Open Cup Hero Signs with Independence - Charlotte Independence
- Louisville City Giving Free Tickets to Educators Saturday - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.