Legends Get Past Greenville 6-3
The Lexington Legends broke a 3-3 tie with three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning and defeated the Greenville Drive 6-3 Sunday at Applebee's Park.
Greenville broke on top in the top of the first inning. Leadoff hitter Derrik Gibson walked, stole second went to third on a wild pitch and scored on a two-out single by Christian Vazquez.
The Legends tied the game in the bottom of the second inning. Jake Goebbert walked, went to second on a single by Kody Hinze and came home on a base hit by Jonathan Fixler.
Lexington took a two-run lead in the third. Jiovanni Mier walked, and went to third on a hit-and-run single by Goebbert. One out later, Jonathan Meyer doubled to left center field, scoring Mier and Goebbert to give the Legends a 3-1 margin.
Greenville evened the score in the top of the fourth. After Ronald Bermudez led off with a bunt single, a double by Luis Segovia closed the gap to 3-2. Segovia came around to score the tying run on an error by Hinze at first base after Gibson had grounded to third.
In the Lexington sixth, Grant Hogue walked and was sacrificed to second by Jose Altuve. Mier followed with a single to score Hogue with the tie-breaking run. Mier took second on a throw to the plate, and came home on a single by J.D. Martinez to make the score 5-3. Goebbert's double brought Martinez home with the final run.
Jose Trinidad (1-1), who pitched the sixth, seventh and eighth innings without allowing a run, got the win. Greenville reliever Anatanaer Batista (0-1) took the loss.
The Legends have taken two of the first three games in the series, which ends with a 7:05 game Monday night at Applebee's Park.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 18, 2010
- Crawdads Fall to Intimidators, 4-3 - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Win in Dramatic Fashion - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Outlast Shorebirds in 12 Innings - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Get Past Drive, 6-3 - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Rally but Fall in Extra Innings, 9-7 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Get Past Greenville 6-3 - Lexington Legends
- Braves Get First Home Win - Rome Braves
- West Virginia Power lose 6-3 to Asheville - West Virginia Power
- Joseph Delivers 3-1 Walkoff Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Joseph's Walkoff Home Run Lifts Augusta to 3-1 Triumph - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hernandez Lifts BlueClaws to 5-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Phillies Pitcher Joe Blanton to Rehab With the BlueClaws on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Savannah Sand Gnats vs. Rome Braves on Sunday April 18 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Sand Gnats Chop the Braves Again - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Reveal New Identity as 'Lexington Leyendas' as Part of Minor League Baseball's Copa de la Diversion
- Lexington Legends to Unveil New Latino Identity
- Lexington Legends Partner with Boston College for Autographs and Photos at Shriners Hospital
- Lexington Legends Release 2019 Promotional Schedule
- National Anthem and God Bless America Auditions Scheduled for February