Crawdads Fall to Intimidators, 4-3
HICKORY, N.C. - RHP Joe Wieland continued his dominant pitching with 5.2 scoreless innings, but the 'Dads couldn't hold on to a late lead, losing to the Kannapolis Intimidators, 4-3, before 1,313 fans at L.P. Frans Stadium Sunday evening.
The Crawdads (5-6) got an early 1-0 lead in the second. CF Miguel Velazquez singled and moved up to third on a stolen base and an errant pickoff attempt by Kannapolis starter RHP Justin Collop. LF Cristian Santana then laced a single to left to bring in Velazquez.
After giving up a leadoff single to LF Jordan Cheatham, Wieland settled in to retire 18 of the next 19 batters, including streaks of eight and ten in a row to lower his ERA to 0.57 through three starts on the season.
The Crawdads added two more runs in the sixth to move ahead, 3-0. 3B Joe Bonadonna and RF Jared Prince each picked up two-out singles to extend the inning for Velazquez, who pulled a two-run double down the left field line to bring both runners in.
Kannapolis (4-7) pulled to within two on CF Trayce Thompson's solo home run to center field in the top of the seventh against RHP Braden Tullis. They then scored two unearned runs against Tullis in the eigth to tie the game at three, before scoring the go-ahead run against Trevor Hurley (0-1, 1.29 ERA) in the top of the ninth for the 4-3 win.
Ryan Buch (1-0, 0.00 ERA) pitched two scoreless innings of relief for the Intimidators to pick up the win, with Drew O'Neil recording the save. Hurley was tagged with the loss for the Crawdads.
Don't miss 2-for-1 Senior Night on Monday, courtesy of ResCare and 63 Big Ways 630AM. Kids also eat for FREE with a ticket purchase on Monday night!
The 'Dads then host the Charleston RiverDogs, starting Tuesday night with Dollar Day presented by 1290 WHKY. Ten items at the ballpark will cost just a buck each, and fans can buy one ticket and get a Grandstand ticket for just $1. The 'Dads then host the RiverDogs Wednesday with the Unemployment Night ticket special, Thursday for Thirsty Thursday and Friday for Magnet Schedule Giveaway presented by NC Education Lottery and 1290 WHKY.
Single game tickets for all Crawdads games are on sale now at the Crawdads Ticket Office and online at www.hickorycrawdads.com and start at just $6! Season tickets, mini-plans and group outings are available at the Crawdads office, located at 2500 Clement Blvd. NW or by calling (828) 322-3000.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 18, 2010
- Crawdads Fall to Intimidators, 4-3 - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Win in Dramatic Fashion - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Outlast Shorebirds in 12 Innings - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Get Past Drive, 6-3 - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Rally but Fall in Extra Innings, 9-7 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Get Past Greenville 6-3 - Lexington Legends
- Braves Get First Home Win - Rome Braves
- West Virginia Power lose 6-3 to Asheville - West Virginia Power
- Joseph Delivers 3-1 Walkoff Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Joseph's Walkoff Home Run Lifts Augusta to 3-1 Triumph - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hernandez Lifts BlueClaws to 5-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Phillies Pitcher Joe Blanton to Rehab With the BlueClaws on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Savannah Sand Gnats vs. Rome Braves on Sunday April 18 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Sand Gnats Chop the Braves Again - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.