Hernandez Lifts BlueClaws to 5-1 Win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Nick Hernandez pitched eight shutout innings, and the BlueClaws won their second game in a row Sunday afternoon taking down the Greensboro Grasshoppers 5-1.
Hernandez (2-0) completely baffled the Grasshoppers, striking out nine and giving up just three hits. He now has outings of six, seven, and eight innings to start the 2010 season.
For four innings Greensboro starter Matt Montgomery (1-2) was able to keep pace with Hernandez, but the BlueClaws offense finally figured him out in the bottom of the fifth.
Stephen Batts tripled with one out, and was promptly brought home by an Alan Schoenberger base hit. Schoenberger went 3-for-3 on the day with three RBI singles.
Jonathan Villar then singled to put runners on first and second for Jiwan James, who would bring Schoenberger home with a single.
The BlueClaws would add to their lead in the seventh, scoring three runs on four straight hits. They'd follow that up with five more runs in the eighth to seal the win.
Anthony Hewitt went 2-for-5 with 2 RBI, Jonathan Villar had three hits, and Jiwan James drove in four runs to lead the way offensively for Lakewood.
Tomorrow night at 6:35 pm two highly-regarded 19-year old prospects will take the mound. BlueClaws RHP Jarred Cosart (2-0, 4.09) will face Chad James (0-2, 4.15). James was the Marlins first round pick in 2009, while Cosart is the 8th ranked prospect in the Phillies system.
ClawsNotes: Joe Blanton will make a rehab start Tuesday night at 6:35 pm for the BlueClaws. He is expected back to the bigs by the Phillies sometime in early May. Tickets are still available.
Coming into Saturday's game the BlueClaws had been struggling with runners in scoring position, but are 11-26 combined in the past two games.
What a weekend for the BlueClaws! They have outscored the Grasshoppers 17-1 in the past two games on Saturday and Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 18, 2010
- Crawdads Fall to Intimidators, 4-3 - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Win in Dramatic Fashion - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Outlast Shorebirds in 12 Innings - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Get Past Drive, 6-3 - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Rally but Fall in Extra Innings, 9-7 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Get Past Greenville 6-3 - Lexington Legends
- Braves Get First Home Win - Rome Braves
- West Virginia Power lose 6-3 to Asheville - West Virginia Power
- Joseph Delivers 3-1 Walkoff Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Joseph's Walkoff Home Run Lifts Augusta to 3-1 Triumph - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hernandez Lifts BlueClaws to 5-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Phillies Pitcher Joe Blanton to Rehab With the BlueClaws on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Savannah Sand Gnats vs. Rome Braves on Sunday April 18 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Sand Gnats Chop the Braves Again - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.