Joseph Delivers 3-1 Walkoff Win
Augusta, GA - Tommy Joseph proved that with one swing of the bat he could change his fortunes and his team's fortunes on Sunday afternoon at Lake Olmstead Stadium. In front of their third straight sellout crowd, the Augusta GreenJackets earned a thrilling 3-1 win over the Charleston RiverDogs with Joseph's one-out, walkoff home run in the ninth inning.
Prior to the ninth, Joseph was hitless in four plate appearances and the GreenJackets lacked both hits and baserunners. Charleston's Shaeffer Hall fired eight innings and allowed one unearned run, holding the Jackets without a hit through 5.1 innings. Before the ninth there had been just five Augusta baserunners.
In the ninth Nick Liles walked with one out to set up the Joseph blast over the left-field fence on a 2-2 offering from Francisco Rondon (1-2), who threw a third of an inning in the loss.
The RiverDogs struck first off Kyle Vazquez in the second inning on a sacrifice fly following back-to-back singles. Vazquez buckled down from that point forward, allowing all three hits in his seven inning stint within the first two frames. He struck out seven and allowed only one baserunner in his final five innings.
With one out in the sixth, Eliezer Zambrano reached on an error and Kyle Mach looped a single to left to break up Hall's no-hitter. Daniel Cook delivered the tying single later in the inning and the game stood at 1-1 until the ninth.
Chris Gloor (1-0) earned the win following a stellar 1.2 inning performance by Jose Casilla. Gloor froze Taylor Grote on a two-strike fastball to preserve the tie into the bottom of the ninth.
The GreenJackets will try to take three of four from the Charleston RiverDogs on Monday - a feat Augusta has pulled off twice already in the 2010 season. Jeremy Toole (0-0, 2.70) will face Graham Stoneburner (0-2, 3.27) in a matchup of righties. First pitch will come at 7:05 p.m. with the pregame action beginning at 1:50 p.m. on WRDW-AM 1630, www.greenjacketsbaseball.com and www.wrdwam.com.
Single-game and Season Tickets are currently available by calling the GreenJackets front office at 706-922-WINS while further information can be found online at www.greenjacketsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 18, 2010
- Crawdads Fall to Intimidators, 4-3 - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Win in Dramatic Fashion - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Outlast Shorebirds in 12 Innings - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Get Past Drive, 6-3 - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Rally but Fall in Extra Innings, 9-7 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Get Past Greenville 6-3 - Lexington Legends
- Braves Get First Home Win - Rome Braves
- West Virginia Power lose 6-3 to Asheville - West Virginia Power
- Joseph Delivers 3-1 Walkoff Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Joseph's Walkoff Home Run Lifts Augusta to 3-1 Triumph - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hernandez Lifts BlueClaws to 5-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Phillies Pitcher Joe Blanton to Rehab With the BlueClaws on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Savannah Sand Gnats vs. Rome Braves on Sunday April 18 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Sand Gnats Chop the Braves Again - Rome Braves
Other Recent Augusta GreenJackets Stories
- GreenJackets Awarded the Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- : Jackets Season Ends in Lexington
- Playoff Notes: Game 2, SALSCS at Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., Whitaker Bank Ballpark
- Lexington Takes Game #1 with 2-1 Victory
- Playoff Notes: Game 1, SALSCS vs Lexington Legends, 7:05 p.m., SRP Park