Intimidators Win in Dramatic Fashion
Down 3-0 in the seventh inning, the Intimidators earned their first come-from-behind victory as they put up four runs in the last three innings and held on to win 4-3. Drew O'Neil earned his first save and closed out the game with the tying run at third base and Trayce Thompson hit his first professional home run in the seventh inning and scored the winning run in the ninth to put the Intimidators (4-7) past the Crawdads. Justin Collop started the game for the Intimidators and pitched well through six innings, throwing just 65 pitches, 52 for strikes, allowing only two earned runs and striking out five. He was matched by Crawdads (5-6) starter Joe Wieland who went 5.2, allowing two hits and striking out nine.
Down 3-0 in the seventh, Thompson, in his second game with the Intimidators hit his first professional home run, a solo shot, making it 3-1. In the eighth, Kevin Dubler reached on a walk to start the inning before Jordan Cheatham reached on an error, after a failed bunt, Daniel Wagner grounded to second for a fielders choice, but Kyle Davis went in hard at second, forcing a bad throw which allowed Cheatham to score and moved Wagner to third. Down to his last strike in the eighth, Ian Gac then doubled in Wagner to tie it at three.
In the ninth, Thompson doubled to lead off the inning before he was sacrificed over to third and sacrificed home on a fly ball to center by Juan Silverio on his 19th birthday. The throw home was just up the line allowing Thompson to score.
In the ninth, O'Neil allowed a leadoff runner to reach third, but held him there, striking out the last batter to end the game. Ryan Buch (1-0) earned the win pitching two perfect innings in relief.
The Intimidators and Crawdads finish their series on Monday at 7:00 pm as lefties match up, Joe Serafin (1-1) for the I's against Robbie Ross (1-1) for the 'Dads.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 18, 2010
- Crawdads Fall to Intimidators, 4-3 - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Win in Dramatic Fashion - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Outlast Shorebirds in 12 Innings - Hagerstown Suns
- Legends Get Past Drive, 6-3 - Greenville Drive
- Shorebirds Rally but Fall in Extra Innings, 9-7 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Get Past Greenville 6-3 - Lexington Legends
- Braves Get First Home Win - Rome Braves
- West Virginia Power lose 6-3 to Asheville - West Virginia Power
- Joseph Delivers 3-1 Walkoff Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Joseph's Walkoff Home Run Lifts Augusta to 3-1 Triumph - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hernandez Lifts BlueClaws to 5-1 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Phillies Pitcher Joe Blanton to Rehab With the BlueClaws on Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Savannah Sand Gnats vs. Rome Braves on Sunday April 18 - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Sand Gnats Chop the Braves Again - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Intimidators to Host Job Fair on Saturday, February 23rd
- A Letter to Our Fans
- Kannapolis Intimidators Unveil 2019 Promotions Schedule
- Kannapolis Baseball Seeks Community's Help to Rebrand Team
- Queens University of Charlotte to Play 2019 Home Games at Intimidators Stadium Supported by Atrium Health