Legends Drop Heartbreaker in Game Two
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - Despite an early 3-0 lead, the Lexington Legends couldn't hold on as they fell 4-3 to the Augusta Greenjackets in game two. The Legends now drop to 17-18 while the Greenjackets improve to 17-18.
In the bottom of the fourth inning, Nate Eaton lined a leadoff single to right field. Rubendy Jaquez then smashed a triple to left field and the Legends were on the board 1-0. An RBI single to left field by Freddy Fermin brought home Jaquez. Lexington led 2-0 after the fourth inning.
The Legends plated their final run of the game in the bottom of the fifth inning. Jackson Lueck drew a walk then scored on a triple to right field by Eaton and Lexington continued to lead 3-0.
Augusta mounted their comeback in the top of the ninth inning. Diego Rincones lead off with a single to right field then moved to second on a wild pitch by Andres Nunez. Wander Franco then singled him home and the Greenjackets were on the board, 3-1. Aaron Bond then drew a walk. Jeffry Parra then blasted a three-run homer to put Augusta ahead, 4-3.
Ben Madison was awarded the victory tossing 3.1 shutout innings allowing one hit while walking one and striking out four. Andres Nunez was given the loss pitching 2.0 innings allowing four runs on four hits while walking one and striking out one.
For Lexington, Austin Cox threw a career high 7.0 innings while recording a season high eight strikeouts and allowing just three.
The Legends and Greenjackets meet again tomorrow, May 13 at 10:35am for the rubber match. RHP Charlie Neuweiler (1-2, 3.32 ERA) will face Augusta's RHP Sean Hjelle (1-2, 2.84 ERA).
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Lexington Legends pitcher Austin Cox
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Canaan Smith's Cycle Leads RiverDogs over Crawdads - Charleston RiverDogs
- All Nine 'Dads Collect a Hit in Loss to RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Mother's Day Masterpiece: Jackets Score Four in the 9th to Beat Lexington - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rome Crushes Columbia 11-0 in Lopsided Mothers Day Win - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Asheville, 4-2, on Mother's Day - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Drop Mother's Day Matinee to Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Feltner Limits the Drive in Bounce-Back Win - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Heartbreaker in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Moyers Hurls Quality Start in 2-1 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 12 vs. Rome Braves (Game 35) - Columbia Fireflies
- Ramirez Makes MLB Debut with Marlins in New York - West Virginia Power
- Hartman, Woods join Single-A Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Birds, Suns Washed out on Sunday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 12) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Legends Receive Bob Freitas Award as Top Single A Organization by Baseball America
- Tickets on Sale Now for Nitro Circus and First Athletes Announced
- Lexington Legends Praise Congressional Effort
- Lexington Legends and Bowling Green Hot Rods Announce 2020 Game at Whitaker Bank Ballpark
- Legends Add New Faces to Front Office Lineup