Fireflies Drop Mother's Day Matinee to Rome
COLUMBIA, SC - After winning back-to-back games, the Fireflies dropped Sunday's tilt to Rome, 11-0. Columbia can still win the series with a pair of victories in Monday's doubleheader.
The Fireflies tallied just three hits on Sunday. Ronny Mauricio posted one - the 18-year-old has now hit safely in three straight.
Columbia (11-24) starter Simeon Woods-Richardson (L, 0-5) retired the first six hitters he faced to start the game. The righty ran into trouble in the third and was later lifted in the fourth. The Fireflies fell behind 6-0 after four and then 11-0 after eight.
Billy Oxford and Ezequiel Zabaleta each hurled scoreless innings of work out of the bullpen.
On Rome's (16-19) side, starter Odalvi Javier (W, 1-2) tossed six scoreless frames and punched out six. Dilmer Mejia (S, 1) picked up the save.
Top 3: Justin Dean singles in a run ... Andrew Moritz punches a double down the left-field line, scores Dean. ROM 2, COL 0
Top 4: With runners at the corners, Griffin Benson grounds out to first, but scores Trey Harris from third ... Ricardo Rodriguez knocks in a run with a base hit ... Braulio Vasquez plates Rodriguez with a triple ... Ariel Montesino records an RBI single. ROM 6, COL 0
Top 5: Griffin Benson vaults a run-scoring triple into the right-center field alley. ROM 7, COL 0
Top 8: Montesino drives in a run with a sacrifice fly ... Dean plates a run with a single ... Harris socks a two-run double. ROM 11, COL 0
Columbia and Rome close out their series on Monday with a doubleheader beginning at 5:35 ET. Both games will be seven innings long with game two following approximately 30 minutes after the conclusion of game one.
You can tune into the action at MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Canaan Smith's Cycle Leads RiverDogs over Crawdads - Charleston RiverDogs
- All Nine 'Dads Collect a Hit in Loss to RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Mother's Day Masterpiece: Jackets Score Four in the 9th to Beat Lexington - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rome Crushes Columbia 11-0 in Lopsided Mothers Day Win - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Asheville, 4-2, on Mother's Day - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Drop Mother's Day Matinee to Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Feltner Limits the Drive in Bounce-Back Win - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Heartbreaker in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Moyers Hurls Quality Start in 2-1 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 12 vs. Rome Braves (Game 35) - Columbia Fireflies
- Ramirez Makes MLB Debut with Marlins in New York - West Virginia Power
- Hartman, Woods join Single-A Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Birds, Suns Washed out on Sunday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 12) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Columbia Fireflies Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Fireflies Release Twelve Days of Christmas Schedule
- Chicharrones de Columbia to Return in 2020
- Fireflies Launch 36 Hour Flash Sale for All 2020 Fireworks Games
- Fireflies Announce 2020 Game Times and Promotional Highlights