Greenville Falls to Asheville, 4-2, on Mother's Day
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - The Greenville Drive fell to the Asheville Tourists, 4-2, on Sunday afternoon at McCormick Field, as the Tourists evened the series at 1-1.
Both teams got on the board in the opening frame. With the bases loaded and one out, Triston Casas got the Drive on the board on an RBI fielder's choice to first, scoring Kervin Suarez from third to make it a 1-0 game. Asheville answered with two runs in the bottom half on a two-RBI double to left by John Cresto to give the Tourists a 2-1 lead.
Asheville added lone runs in the third and seventh innings. Willie MacIver drove in a run with a bases-loaded, RBI popout in the third. A two-out, RBI single to right by Luke Morgan made it a 4-1 lead in the seventh.
Drive cut in to the lead with one in the eighth. Casas drove in his second run of the game with an RBI single to center to make it the eventual final score of 4-2.
Asheville starter Ryan Feltner (2-3) earned the win, allowing one run on five hits with six strikeouts against one walk in 6.0 innings of work. Drive starter Angel Padron (1-3) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on four hits with three walks and five strikeouts in 4.0 innings pitched. The save went to Alexander Martinez, his seventh of the year, allowing a lone hit with three strikeouts in 1.1 innings pitched.
Kris Jackson made his Drive debut on his first day with the team, tossing 3.0 innings and allowing one run on two hits with a pair of strikeouts. Logan Browning tossed a scoreless eighth inning with two strikeouts.
At the plate, Grant Williams led the Drive with a 2-for-4 day that included a double. Casas drove in both Drive runs on the afternoon, while Devlin Granberg and Kole Cottam each doubled in the loss.
The two will conclude the series on Monday with a 10:30 a.m. first pitch. Greenville's RHP Alex Scherff (0-2, 3.95 ERA) goes head-to-head with Asheville's LHP Nick Bush (1-3, 6.75 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Canaan Smith's Cycle Leads RiverDogs over Crawdads - Charleston RiverDogs
- All Nine 'Dads Collect a Hit in Loss to RiverDogs - Hickory Crawdads
- Mother's Day Masterpiece: Jackets Score Four in the 9th to Beat Lexington - Augusta GreenJackets
- Rome Crushes Columbia 11-0 in Lopsided Mothers Day Win - Rome Braves
- Greenville Falls to Asheville, 4-2, on Mother's Day - Greenville Drive
- Fireflies Drop Mother's Day Matinee to Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Feltner Limits the Drive in Bounce-Back Win - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Drop Heartbreaker in Game Two - Lexington Legends
- Moyers Hurls Quality Start in 2-1 Loss to Kannapolis - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 12 vs. Rome Braves (Game 35) - Columbia Fireflies
- Ramirez Makes MLB Debut with Marlins in New York - West Virginia Power
- Hartman, Woods join Single-A Rome - Rome Braves
- 'Birds, Suns Washed out on Sunday - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 12) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.