Legends Catch Crawdads and Come Back from 6-Run Deficit
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends overcame a six-run deficit to take down the Hickory Crawdads, 8-6. The Legends improve to 58-61 while the Crawdads drop to 69-48.
The Crawdads plated their first two runs in the top of the first inning. Jonathan Ornelas lined a leadoff double to right centerfield then moved to third on a single by Josh Jung. A two-run single by Melvin Novoa drove them home and Hickory led, 2-0.
In the top of the second inning, Matt Whatley led off with a double to right centerfield then was able to score on an RBI groundout by Ornelas. Josh Jung then hit a RBI double to right field and the Crawdads led, 4-0. Tyreque Reed then smashed a two-run homer and Hickory led, 6-0.
Lexington started the comeback in the bottom of the second inning. Nick Hutchins reached on a fielder's choice then moved to second on a single by Reed Rohlman. Rudy Martin then blasted a three-run home run to right field and the Legends were on the board, 6-4.
Hudgins then hit his eighth home run of the season to left field and Lexington pulled within one, 6-5.
The Legends took the lead in the bottom of the eighth inning. Eric Cole drew a leadoff walk then moved to second on a single by Chris Hudgins. Hutchins then roped an RBI single to right field and the game was tied, 6-6. Reed Rohlman then hit a groundout to the short stop allowing Hudgins to score. Leading 7-6, Chase Vallot looped an RBI single into left field and Lexington extended their lead, 8-6.
Tyler Gray was awarded the victory tossing 2.2 shutout innings allowing two hits and striking out two. Ted Cillis tossed a career high 4.0 shutout innings allowing one hit while walking one and striking out one. Heven Bueno was given the loss pitching 2.0 innings allowing three runs on four hits while walking two and striking out three.
The Legends and Crawdads meet again tomorrow, August 13 at 7:05pm for game two.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Jackets Fall 6-5 in Heartbreaker - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Catch Braves Napping to Open Series - Asheville Tourists
- Beltre's Walk-Off Double Lifts Kannapolis to 7-6 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Stowers Comes Through in 10th, Dogs Walk off in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Stumble Down Stretch to Power - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Acosta Dazzles Again on Mound, RiverDogs Walk It off in 10 - Columbia Fireflies
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Power to 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Legends Catch Crawdads and Come Back from 6-Run Deficit - Lexington Legends
- Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 5-4 in Hagerstown - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Eighth-Inning Run Secures Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 12 at Charleston (Game 116) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kyle Datres Takes Home Player of the Week Award - Asheville Tourists
- Inman Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (August 12) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Legends Announce Resolution with Kentucky State Senate Regarding MiLB Team Elimination Plan
- Murphy Named Voice of the Legends
- Lexington Legends to Rebrand to Kentucky Beer Cheese
- Legends Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Legends to Host Female Minor League Baseball Broadcasters Event