Acosta Dazzles Again on Mound, RiverDogs Walk It off in 10
CHARLESTON, SC - Columbia led for much of Monday's series opener in Charleston, but ultimately fell in extras, 3-2. Charleston scored twice in the 10th to claim game one of the set.
The Fireflies led 1-0 in the bottom of the ninth frame. Frederick Cuevas's timely double helped the home team score its first run in the final inning of regulation. Cuevas later scored in the inning on a wild pitch to force the extra frame.
Hayden Senger was placed at second to begin the 10th and scored on Guillermo Granadillo's double down the left-field line. RiverDogs reliever Carlos Espinal (W, 1-2) soon buckled down and retired the next two hitters to send the game to the bottom of the 10th.
In that frame, chaos ensued. Allan Winans (L, 1-3), who had pitched the ninth, was back on the mound and faced Charleston's (25-25, 62-58) Brandon Lockridge to begin. Lockridge bunted up the third-base line in hopes of moving Eduardo Torrealba to third, and did more than that. Columbia (23-27, 47-69) third baseman Shervyen Newton fielded the slow roller but tossed a poor throw to first that was wide of Brian Sharp's target. The error allowed Torrealba to score.
The next hitter, Oswald Peraza, singled and all of a sudden there were runners at the corners with no one out. Two batters later, Josh Stowers pulled a single through the left-side of the diamond and plated the game-winning run.
Columbia's starter on Monday, Daison Acosta, was in line for the win until the ninth. Acosta hurled 5.1 scoreless innings and has now logged 11.1 consecutive shut-out frames against Charleston. Remember, the right-hander heaved six one-hit innings against the RiverDogs on July 14. It's undeniable his two best starts have been against the RiverDogs.
Cole Gordon was sharp, too, on the slope for the Fireflies. The former Mississippi State Bulldog struck out five in 2.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
Top 5: Runners at second and third, Guillermo Granadillo's sacrifice fly into center scores Jose Medina. COL 1, CSC 0
Bottom 9: Frederick Cuevas scores from third on an Allan Winans wild pitch. COL 1, CSC 1
Top 10: Granadillo doubles down left-field line, scores Hayden Senger. COL 2, CSC 1
Bottom 10: Eduardo Torrealba scores on error ... Josh Stowers drives in Brandon Lockridge with a base hit. CSC 3, COL 2
Game two between Columbia and Charleston is scheduled for 7:05 ET on Tuesday at Joe Riley Park. Right-hander Colin Holderman (3-1, 3.98) takes the ball for the Fireflies and faces righty Luis Medina (1-8, 6.49) for the RiverDogs.
You can tune into the action at FirefliesLiveStream.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Jackets Fall 6-5 in Heartbreaker - Augusta GreenJackets
- Tourists Catch Braves Napping to Open Series - Asheville Tourists
- Beltre's Walk-Off Double Lifts Kannapolis to 7-6 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Stowers Comes Through in 10th, Dogs Walk off in Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Stumble Down Stretch to Power - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Acosta Dazzles Again on Mound, RiverDogs Walk It off in 10 - Columbia Fireflies
- Four-Run Seventh Lifts Power to 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Legends Catch Crawdads and Come Back from 6-Run Deficit - Lexington Legends
- Gutierrez Homers, But Claws Fall 5-4 in Hagerstown - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Eighth-Inning Run Secures Suns Victory - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 12 at Charleston (Game 116) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kyle Datres Takes Home Player of the Week Award - Asheville Tourists
- Inman Named SAL Pitcher of the Week - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (August 12) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta
- Fireflies Roster Move and Season Finale Notes: September 2 at Augusta (Game 136)
- Fireflies Show Their Courage, Fight to the Finish in Competitive Tilt