Leagues Cup Showcase Returns to Utah as Real Salt Lake Host Liga MX Campeon Atlas FC on September 22
SANDY, UT; NEW YORK and MEXICO CITY - Real Salt Lake, Major League Soccer (MLS) and LIGA MX announced today that Leagues Cup Showcase will add a trio of feature matches this September in Utah, Cincinnati and Nashville. For the first time in RSL history, the Claret-and-Cobalt will host Mexican power Atlas FC as part of this year's Leagues Cup Showcase, which serves as a preview to the highly-anticipated 2023 Leagues Cup between all 29 MLS and 18 Liga MX clubs next Summer.
"Real Salt Lake is proud of our vast history of competing against international opponents, whether that be in CONCACAF Champions League, international friendlies or the 2019 Leagues Cup," said RSL President John Kimball, nearing his 22nd full month at the Club's business helm. "Welcoming Atlas FC in September to Utah for the 42nd RSL game against 30 different international opponents from 16 various countries will no doubt serve as a fantastic reward for our incredible supporters, who have long proven to value international pathways to prestigious regional hardware. We cannot wait to host this year's Leagues Cup Showcase, and we look forward to providing Atlas a sense of the best Utah has to offer."
Welcomed to Utah by RSL, MLS and the Utah Sports Commission, Atlas FC is the current LIGA MX Campeón de Campeones - the overall Mexican league champion - given the club's back-to-back Apertura 2021 and Clausura 2022 season wins.
"We are very happy to be able to participate in Leagues Cup Showcase. The United States has always been a very important market to us, and we are pleased to join this great effort led by MLS and LIGA MX," said Atlas FC Executive President José Riestra. "It is a privilege to be able to play in Salt Lake City against a team that has marked an era in MLS and hopefully we can continue to join forces to be able to satisfy our fans in the United States. It is a pleasure and an honor for Atlas to be able to participate in this match, which I am sure will be a success."
In addition to the RSL v. Atlas contest, FC Cincinnati (MLS) will receive Club Deportivo Guadalajara (Liga MX), while Nashville SC (MLS) will host Club América (Liga MX). These three matches join the previously announced August 3 doubleheader in Los Angeles featuring LA Galaxy (MLS) vs. Chivas and LAFC (MLS) vs. Club América. The late September match schedule is as follows:
Date Game Time (ET) Stadium
Wed., Sept. 21 FC Cincinnati vs. Club Deportivo Guadalajara TBD TQL Stadium, Cincinnati, OH
Wed., Sept. 21 Nashville SC vs. Club América TBD GEODIS Park, Nashville, TN
Thu., Sept. 22 Real Salt Lake vs. Atlas FC TBD Rio Tinto Stadium, Sandy, UT
Real Salt Lake, FC Cincinnati and Nashville SC Season Ticket Members will have priority access to purchase tickets through an exclusive presale. Tickets will be made available to the public as follows:
Real Salt Lake vs. Atlas FC: On-Sale SOON! Click HERE for Ticket Details & Updates
FC Cincinnati vs. Club Deportivo Guadalajara: Monday, July 18 at 9:00 a.m. ET via SeatGeek
Nashville SC vs. Club América: Thursday, July 21 at 10:00 a.m. ET via Ticketmaster
An MLS club with a deep-rooted history, Real Salt Lake joined the League in 2005, debuted its scenic Rio Tinto Stadium in 2008, hoisted the Philip F. Anschutz trophy as an MLS Cup champion (2009), and has participated in important Cup finals, including the U.S. Open Cup (2013) and the Concacaf Champions League (2010/11).
Atlas FC will become the ninth Mexican opponent to visit Utah and appear opposite Real Salt Lake, which has competed against Monarcas Morelia, Santos Laguna, Cruz Azul, Club America, CD Guadalajara, Monterrey, Xolos de Tijuana and UANL Tigres a combined 16 times across international friendly or CONCACAF Champions League play, as well as the Leagues Cup 2019. All-time, RSL is just 3-6-4 (W-L-T) against Mexican visitors, while the Utah side owns an 18-12-11 overall international record. Both records include RSL's home 1-0 loss to Tigres in 2019.
This year's Leagues Cup Showcase will serve as a preview to the highly anticipated 2023 Leagues Cup, the annual month-long official tournament between MLS and LIGA MX. All 47 MLS and LIGA MX clubs will participate next summer, with the tournament champion earning automatic qualification for the CONCACAF Champions League (CCL) Round of 16. In addition, clubs finishing second and third in Leagues Cup starting in 2023 will qualify for the Opening Round of the CCL.
MLS and LIGA MX - which entered a partnership in 2018 rooted in the on-field rivalry as well as the true spirit of collaboration off the field - will pause their respective seasons for one month during the Summer of 2023 to play Leagues Cup, showcasing the soccer infrastructure and capabilities in the region in the years leading into the 2026 FIFA World Cup in the U.S., Canada and Mexico - the first World Cup to feature 48 countries.
Additional information on the September matches, including broadcast information and media accreditation, will be announced at a later date.
The Leagues Cup Showcase, sponsored by BODYARMOR, will be broadcast on Univision and ESPN platforms in the United States, and TUDN platforms in Mexico.
Leagues Cup Showcase 2022
Date Game Time (ET) Stadium City Ticketing
Aug. 3 LA Galaxy vs. Club Deportivo Guadalajara 8:30 p.m. SoFi Stadium Inglewood, CA Ticketmaster
Aug. 3 LAFC vs. Club América Immediately following first match SoFi Stadium Inglewood, CA Ticketmaster
Sept. 21 FC Cincinnati vs. Club Deportivo Guadalajara TBD TQL Stadium Cincinnati, OH SeatGeek
Sept. 21 Nashville SC vs. Club América TBD GEODIS Park Nashville, TN Ticketmaster
Sept. 22 Real Salt Lake vs. Atlas FC TBD Rio Tinto Stadium Sandy, UT TBD
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2022
- Pereira's Long-Range Strike Lifts Austin FC to Away Win over Charlotte FC - Austin FC
- Wonder Goal Spoils Formidable Charlotte FC Performance - Charlotte FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Programming for Fourth of July Match against CF Montréal - LA Galaxy
- Leagues Cup Showcase Returns to Utah as Real Salt Lake Host Liga MX Campeon Atlas FC on September 22 - Real Salt Lake
- New Voting Process for Club Awards - Club de Foot Montreal
- Columbus Crew Names Dan Lock Head of Individual Development and Coaching for Crew 2 and Crew Academy - Columbus Crew SC
- The Stage Is Set for the MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs Semifinals - MLS
- FC Cincinnati to Host Club Deportivo Guadalajara in Leagues Cup Showcase at TQL Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville Soccer Club to Host Club América in a Leagues Cup Showcase Match on September 21 - Nashville SC
- Three Leagues Cup Showcase Matches Coming this September - MLS
- Five Points: Don't Quit - New York City FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign Defender Juan Castillo to Short-Term Loan Ahead of Match against Atlanta United FC - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Announce Broadcast for Audi Football Summit Match against FC Bayern Munich - D.C. United
- Midea to Become Largest Contributing Partner for NYCFC Foundation 'City in the Community' (CITC) - New York City FC
- Inter Miami CF Names Victor Oliver Senior Vice President, Facilities Revenues & Operations - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Fall 3-2 to Minnesota United FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Scores Three in First Road Win at la Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- Ten-Man Timbers Down Houston Dynamo FC 2-1 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Claims 3-1 Win over FC Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- Late Rally Falls Short as Dynamo Drop 2-1 Result at Portland - Houston Dynamo FC
- Sounders FC Falls 2-1 at Home to CF Montréal - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Falls 3-1 to LAFC - FC Dallas
- CF Montréal Rallies past Seattle - Club de Foot Montreal
- Toronto FC (1) - Columbus Crew (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Earn Road Point, But Remain One Point out of Playoff Position
- Real Salt Lake off to Southern California Saturday for Must-Win at Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Fall 2-1 to Liga MX Champs Atlas FC
- Leagues Cup Showcase Returns to Utah
- Real Salt Lake Duo of Sergio Cordova and Jefferson Savarino to Represent Venezuela National Team