Late Goal Lifts Dynamo to 1-1 Draw with Nashville SC
NASHVILLE, TENN. - The Houston Dynamo rallied late to snatch a point against Nashville SC with a 1-1 draw this afternoon at Nissan Stadium. It was th first meeting between the two sides, with Nashville having joined Major League Soccer this season.
Houston defender Maynor Figueroa grabbed a late equalizer when he headed home a chip from forward Darwin Quintero in the 90th minute. Houston had been pressing for the tying goal for 15 minutes, only to see chance after chance deflected out for corner kicks. Finally, midfielder Memo Rodriguez's corner forced Nashville goalkeeper Joe Willis to come off his line, but his attempted clearance fell to the feet of Quintero off the back post, and he chipped the ball back across the face of goal where Figueroa headed it into the back of the net.
After a scoreless first half, Nashville broke the deadlock in the 49th minute through forward Daniel RÃos. Forward Derrick Jones, who came on as a halftime substitute, carried the ball down the left flank, drawing a trio of defenders before laying off to RÃos at the top of the penalty area. The striker side-footed a shot into the lower right corner to give the home side a 1-0 lead.
Despite trailing for much of the second half and needing the late goal to equalize, the Dynamo were the stronger team over the course of 90 minutes by most metrics. Houston controlled possession, holding the ball for 57.9 percent of the match, attempted nearly 200 more passes than Nashville, completed a higher percentage of their attempted passes, and outshot their opponents 18-9.
Rodriguez had one of Houston's most dangerous chances when he attempted a daring and inventive backheel from inside the six-yard box that forced a desperate save from Nashville goalkeeper Joe Willis in the 37th minute. Rodriguez led the Dynamo with five shots in the match.
Dynamo forward Mauro Manotas, making his 100th start for the club in league play, went the distance and was second to Rodriguez with three shots in the contest.
After back-to-back matches away from home, the Dynamo will return to the friendly confines of BBVA Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 3 when they host Sporting Kansas City at 7 p.m. CDT. Houston has defeated Sporting in two of their three meetings this season and will look to secure the season series with a win or draw.
Nashville SC (4-5-4; 16 pts.) 1-1 Houston Dynamo (3-4-7; 17 pts.)
MLS Regular Season - Match 14
Saturday, Sept. 26, 2020 - Nissan Stadium - Nashville, Tennessee
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Nashville SC 0 1 1
Houston Dynamo 0 1 1
NSH: Daniel RÃos 2 (Derrick Jones 1) 49
HOU: Maynor Figueroa 2 (Darwin Quintero 7) 90
Nashville SC: Joe Willis; Daniel Lovitz, Dave Romney, Walker Zimmerman, Jalil Anibaba (Alan Winn 67); Tah Anunga (Anibal Godoy 59), Dax McCarty (C); Randall Leal (Taylor Washington 76), Hany Mukhtar, Alex Muyl (Derrick Jones 46); Daniel RÃos (Alistair Johnson 60)
Unused substitutes: Elliott Panicco, Brayan Beckeles, Jack Maher, Eric Miller
Total shots: 9 (Hany Mukhtar, Daniel RÃos 2); Shots on goal: 3 (Anibal Godoy, Hany Mukhtar, Daniel RÃos1); Fouls: 6 (Derrick Jones 2); Offside: 2 (Randall Leal, Daniel RÃos 1); Corner kicks: 6 (Daniel Lovitz, Hany Mukhtar 3); Saves: 7 (Joe Willis 7)
Houston Dynamo: Marko MariÃ¦; Adam Lundkvist (Sam Junqua 76), Maynor Figueroa, Victor Cabrera, Zarek Valentin; MatÃas Vera (C); Darwin Cerén (Nico Lemoine 76), Memo Rodriguez; Darwin Quintero (Boniek GarcÃa 90+1), Mauro Manotas, Ari Lassiter
Unused substitutes: Cody Cropper, Alejandro Fuenmayor, Niko Hansen, TomÃ¡s MartÃnez, Marcelo Palomino, Christian Ramirez
Total shots: 18 (Memo Rodriguez 5); Shots on goal: 8 (Darwin Cerén, Ari Lassiter, Memo Rodriguez 2); Fouls: 13 (MatÃas Vera 3); Offside: 0; Corner kicks: 11 (Memo Rodriguez 10); Saves: 2 (Marko MariÃ¦ 2)
HOU: Adam Lundkvist (caution; foul) 76
HOU: Nico Lemoine (caution; foul) 81
Referee: Rubiel Vazquez
Assistant Referees: Corey Rockwell
Assistant Referee: Cory Richardson
Fourth Official: Kevin Broadley
VAR: Guido Gonzales Jr.
Weather: 70 degrees, partly cloudy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 26, 2020
- New York City FC Overwhelms FC Cincinnati 4-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- LAFC to Face San Jose Earthquakes Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Boys in Gold Keep Home Undefeated Streak Intact After Draw with Houston Dynamo - Nashville SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - September 27, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Late Goal Lifts Dynamo to 1-1 Draw with Nashville SC - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Gonzalo HiguaÃÂn Set for Inter Miami Debut - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Toronto FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids' Home Match against Sporting Kansas City Postponed to Later Date - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja Heads Back to Dallas as Orlando Go for Eight in a Row - Orlando City SC
- Storylines: City vs. FC Dallas - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Match at Colorado Postponed - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Postpones Sunday's Colorado Rapids vs. Sporting Kansas City Match - MLS
- Red Bulls Return to RBA to Face the Montreal Impact - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Confirm Positive COVID-19 Case - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Travels to FC Dallas on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Chicago Fire FC - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC on Sunday - Real Salt Lake
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Los Angeles FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows