Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview
MINNESOTA UNITED FC vs. REAL SALT LAKE
ALLIANZ FIELD | SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA
09.27.20 | MLS Week No. 13 | MLS Game No. 14
7:00 p.m. CT (FSN/MNUFC Radio on SKOR North)
MIN: 5-5-3 (2-1-0 at home)
RSL: 4-4-5 (1-1-2 on the road)
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. (Sept. 26, 2020) - For just the second time in the 2020 regular season, Minnesota United have back-to-back home games, and the upcoming tilts against Real Salt Lake and FC Cincinnati are just their fourth and fifth at Allianz Field overall. The tempo of games gets no easier, though, as MNUFC have had to compensate for injuries to starters while also incorporating new players like midfielder Emanuel Reynoso, defender Bakaye Dibassy and forward Kei Kamara without having the chance to work on tactics due to the compressed schedule. Still, against a dominant Columbus Crew SC who have only allowed four goals on the season, the Loons held their own, coming up an inch (or maybe even less) short on an offside call to snatch a road point at the death. They'll no doubt be looking forward to some home cooking against RSL after they walloped them 4-0 way back in ... *checks notes* ... three weeks ago. MNUFC have slid to seventh in the Western Conference, but in this most unusual of seasons, remain just three points off of first place Seattle while also being just three points up from being out of the playoffs altogether. The Loons will need every point they can get their hands on to stay in the hunt.
ADRIAN HEATH ON PREPARING FOR REAL SALT LAKE
"There's no set way of doing it. It's too many games in a short period of time. Sometimes I feel for the players a little bit because it's 36 hours after a game, you're still recovering and then you're on a plane to another game so it's not ideal but it's going to be the same for everybody. Hopefully we get a few more bodies fit, it's been nice to see a few of the guys running around who we haven't had for the last couple weeks. We need a clean bill of a health and if we do, our depth of squad will show out towards the end of the month."
AARON SCHOENFELD ON PLAYING AT HOME
"You're in the home market, you know that the supporters are all watching, home or away obviously. But I think, especially in this moment with how the travel is in the league, flying in and out on the day of, it's such a big advantage of a home game."
The last few weeks have been feast or famine for the Claret-and-Cobalt. After getting pasted by Minnesota 4-0 at Allianz Field, RSL turned around and dropped three goals on LAFC without a response at home. Then the Rapids came into their building and put up five while allowing none. They then lost to a Vancouver Whitecaps team with eight losses at home before shutting out a surging LA Galaxy side 2-0. In short, Real Salt Lake are searching for consistency right now while MNUFC are looking for an emphatic result after getting a win, a draw and two losses in their last four, all by a point (or less, obviously). With the Loons having won every game against RSL at home in their time in MLS, it seems an ideal time and opponent to get Minnesota's attack firing on all cylinders once again.
Minnesota United has had Real Salt Lake's number thus far in the teams' shared history in MLS. In their inaugural season, it was RSL who fell to the Loons 4-2 at TCF Bank Stadium to give Minnesota their first MLS win and since then, MNUFC have only failed to take points from a game against the Claret-and-Cobalt once, back on June 17, 2017 at Rio Tinto Stadium. In all, Minnesota has a 4-1-3 record against their upcoming opponents, including a scoreless draw in the Group Stage of the MLS Is Back Tournament. It's the sort of stat that can either make you feel confident in a continued trend or concerned that RSL is due to crack the code one of these times and sneak away with a win.
FIRST TOUCHES: Dayne St. Clair made his first career MLS start against RSL. He made three saves to claim his first win and first shutout as well. [READ MORE]
Miller - hip (out for season)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 26, 2020
- New York City FC Overwhelms FC Cincinnati 4-0 - FC Cincinnati
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 4 - 0 FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- LAFC to Face San Jose Earthquakes Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Boys in Gold Keep Home Undefeated Streak Intact After Draw with Houston Dynamo - Nashville SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - September 27, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Late Goal Lifts Dynamo to 1-1 Draw with Nashville SC - Houston Dynamo
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Gonzalo HiguaÃÂn Set for Inter Miami Debut - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Toronto FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Colorado Rapids' Home Match against Sporting Kansas City Postponed to Later Date - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja Heads Back to Dallas as Orlando Go for Eight in a Row - Orlando City SC
- Storylines: City vs. FC Dallas - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Match at Colorado Postponed - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Postpones Sunday's Colorado Rapids vs. Sporting Kansas City Match - MLS
- Red Bulls Return to RBA to Face the Montreal Impact - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Confirm Positive COVID-19 Case - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Travels to FC Dallas on Sunday - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Chicago Fire FC - Atlanta United FC
- Real Salt Lake Visits Minnesota United FC on Sunday - Real Salt Lake
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at D.C. United - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota United FC Stories
- Minnesota United Re-Signs MLS Legend Osvaldo Alonso to New Contract
- Minnesota United Announces Preseason Schedule
- MNUFC Signs Patrick Weah as Homegrown Player
- MNUFC Midfielder Hassani Dotson Called to U23 USMNT Training Camp
- Minnesota United Opens 2021 Preseason