Late Game Heroics Push Phantoms Past Flying Aces
YOUNGSTOWN, OH- After going down early the Youngstown Phantoms (4-6-0-2) found a way to finish strong and get their second win in as many games 3-2 over the Central Illinois Flying Aces Monday morning at the Covelli Centre.
The Phantoms were on a change and Aces goaltender Mitchell Gibson was able to find Tate Singleton with a nice stretch pass, Singleton fired a full slap shot which was initially stopped by Christian Stoever (24 saves) but the puck fluttered over him and into the net to put the Flying Aces on the board just 1:49 into the game.
Youngstown would quickly pick up the intensity which would lead to two quick goals. Jack Malone was able to find the back of the net off a rebound from a Thomas Farrell shot to tie things up for the Phantoms. 17 seconds later Brett Murray would feed a crashing Connor MacEachern who put a back hand shot through Gibson's five-hole to give the Phantoms the lead.
Sebastian Dirven would get the game tied as he fired a sharp angle shot that deflected off of Jeremey Davidson and the puck found its way between the glove hand and body of Stoever.
The game would remain tied for seven minutes, and then Matt DeMelis would one time home a great feed through the slot from Dalton Messina and the Phantoms would get their second win in as many games and take two out of three games over the Flying Aces this weekend. The Phantoms picked up a point in all three games this weekend and are now 3-0-0-1 in their last four games.
The Phantoms hit the road to take on the team up north, the Muskegon Lumberjacks, for a two-game series next Friday and Saturday. Broadcasts will be available on HockeyTV. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:15PM.
By the Numbers
Shots - 20
Saves - 24
Power Play - 0/6
Penalty Kill - 5/5
Goals - Malone; MacEachern; DeMelis
Assists - Farrell; Murray; DeLuca; Messina
For all the latest news, follow the Phantoms on Twitter (@YtownPhantoms) and 'Like' them on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/YoungstownPhantoms). A full version of the Phantoms 2018-19 season schedule, as well as season tickets and mini-plan packages, is available now by visiting www.YoungstownPhantoms.com. Ticket packages can also be purchased by calling (330) 747-PUCK.
To express interest in becoming a Phantoms corporate partner, e-mail email@example.com, or visit http://www.youngstownphantoms.com/sponsors/%20for%20more%20information.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 5, 2018
- Filip Forsmark Announces Commitment to Merrimack - Tri-City Storm
- Late Game Heroics Push Phantoms Past Flying Aces - Youngstown Phantoms
- Bobby Brink Named USHL's Forward of the Week - Sioux City Musketeers
- Leitner Named USHL Player of the Week - Green Bay Gamblers
- USHL Players of the Week Named for Week 6 - USHL
- Roman Durny Named USHL Goaltender of the Week - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Mayer Commits to Colorado College - Fargo Force
- Flying Aces Drop Morning Game against the Phantoms, 3-2 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Gamblers Sweep on the Road - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Youngstown Phantoms Stories
- Four-Goal First Period Sinks Phantoms in 5-2 Loss
- Defense Stout in 2-1 Victory over Cedar Rapids
- Phantoms Change Time of Saturday's Game
- Superhero Night Benefiting Akron Children's Hospital Mahoning Valley January 19th
- Holtz OT-Winner Caps Come-From-Behind Victory