Flying Aces Drop Morning Game against the Phantoms, 3-2
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio - The Flying Aces drop the final of the three-game series against the Youngstown Phantoms, 3-2.
Central Illinois was perfect on the penalty kill, stopping all six of Youngstown's opportunities, but they were not able to capitalize on their own power play chances despite outshooting the Phantoms 26 to 20.
Tate Singleton (West Lebanon, NH) scored to get the Aces on the board first at 1:49 in the first. Mitchell Gibson (Phoenixville, Penn.) collected the Youngstown dump-in and made a long stretch pass to Singleton. Singleton's initial shot was stopped, but he chipped it in a lob over the goaltender and into the back of the net.
At 14:22 in the first, Jack Malone scored for Youngstown. Gibson made the initial save on his right pad, but Malone was able to bury the rebound to tie the game.
Seventeen seconds later, the Phantoms took the lead, 2-1, when Connor MacEachern entered the zone on a two-on-one and scored, shortly after the neutral zone face-off.
Central Illinois tied the game at 8:24 in the third. Cal Kiefiuk (Macomb, Mich.) passed to Sebastian Dirven (Cornwall, Ont.) who shot the puck from the left circle. Jeremy Davidson (Schoolcraft, Mich.) tipped the puck five-hole to tally the tying goal.
At 15:25 in the third, Youngstown scored after a neutral zone steal leading to a two-on-one breakaway which Matthew DeMelis buried on the backdoor to make the game 3-2.
The Flying Aces travel to Dubuque for a match against the Fighting Saints on November 9 before returning home on November 10 for Salute to Service Night.
Season tickets and Mini Plans for the 2018-19 season are on sale now. For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 5, 2018
- Filip Forsmark Announces Commitment to Merrimack - Tri-City Storm
- Late Game Heroics Push Phantoms Past Flying Aces - Youngstown Phantoms
- Bobby Brink Named USHL's Forward of the Week - Sioux City Musketeers
- Leitner Named USHL Player of the Week - Green Bay Gamblers
- USHL Players of the Week Named for Week 6 - USHL
- Roman Durny Named USHL Goaltender of the Week - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Mayer Commits to Colorado College - Fargo Force
- Flying Aces Drop Morning Game against the Phantoms, 3-2 - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Gamblers Sweep on the Road - Green Bay Gamblers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.