Lappin's Hat Trick Lifts Devils over Comets, 4-1
BINGHAMTON - Nick Lappin scored a hat trick and Cam Johnson made 22 saves in a 4-1 victory for the Binghamton Devils over the Utica Comets in front of 4,216 fans at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday night.
After no scoring in the opening period, the Devils kicked off the scoring 2:08 into the second period while on the power play. Ryan Murphy fed Blake Pietila for a one timer from the dot and the rebound kicked out to Lappin in the crease. Lappin pounced on the puck and fired it into the open cage to give the Devils a 1-0 lead.
The Comets tied the game 1:40 later on a similar goal to Lappin's. Utica fired an innocent looking shot from the point that bounced its way towards the net. Johnson made the save, but the rebound went straight to Kyle Thomas who shot the puck into the open net. Vincent Arseneau and Jamie Sifers assisted on the goal for Utica.
The Devils regained the lead with 5:24 remaining in the period courtesy of Lappin's second goal of the night. On a delayed penalty, Binghamton set up in the Utica zone with the extra attacker. John Ramage launched a slaps hot towards the net and Lappin deflected the puck past Michael Leighton from the high slot. John Quenneville earned a secondary assist on the play. The Devils were unable to score on a pair of late power plays and the score remained 2-1 heading into the final period.
Binghamton kept the pedal to the floor in the third period, outshooting Utica 20-4 and keeping the play out of their own defensive end. The Devils were able to add an insurance marker with 1:49 remaining as Lappin completed the hattrick. Murphy's point shot leaked through Leighton and Lappin was there to jam it into the net to give his team the 3-1 lead. Pietila added another assist on the goal as well. Nathan Bastian would add an empty netter to secure the 4-1 victory, and snap the Devils four-game losing streak.
The Binghamton Devils return home Tuesday to host the Syracuse Crunch at 7:05 p.m. in the rescheduled game from January 19 due to weather. Students can get tickets for just $5! Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils center Ryan Schmelzer against the Utica Comets
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2019
- Budaj's 47-Save Shutout Propels Reign to 2-0 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Blank Tucson 2-0 for 16th Straight Win - Bakersfield Condors
- Amerks Win Streak Snapped in 5-3 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- olumbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves Ground Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Bridgeport wins fourth straight game with shootout victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Providence Takes OT Win over Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Paul and Archibald Lead Belleville to Win over Rochester - Belleville Senators
- Bears Keep Streaks Alive, Win over IceHogs - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Fall to Marlies, 3-2, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Three-Goal Comeback Gets T-Birds a Point in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Lappin's Hat Trick Lifts Devils over Comets, 4-1 - Binghamton Devils
- Szwarz's OT Goal Leads P-Bruins to 3-2 Win in Hartford - Providence Bruins
- Comets Streak Snapped at Eight in Binghamton - Utica Comets
- Comeback Effort at Charlotte Negated - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Fly Past Phantoms 5-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Steel, Assign Gibbons to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Marlies and Crunch Meet Again - Toronto Marlies
- Laval Drops Moose, 3-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Goaltender Colton Point Reassigned to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Dries Recalled to NHL, Eagles Sign Forward VanWormer - Colorado Eagles
- Flyers Recall Corban Knight from Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game #49 Preview: Tucson vs. Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sabres Assign Smith to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Ottawa Assigns Lajoie to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Americans, February 23 - Belleville Senators
- Red Wings Recall Zadina, Assign Sateri - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Preview: IceHogs at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Clague the Only Reign Scorer in 4-2 Loss - Ontario Reign
- Rampage Power Play Edges Ontario - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.