Laliberte helps seal American Conference All-Star victory
BOISE, ID (January 18, 2007) - The Trenton Titans' John Laliberte helped seal the game for the American Conference as he scored on a one timer over Ryan MacDonald's (Fresno) shoulder from the right face off circle to send his team to a 6-3 victory over the National Conference in the 2007 ECHL Rbk Hockey All-Star Game.
The ECHL showcased its best players at the host Idaho Steelheads' Qwest Arena Wednesday night before 4,371 fans.
The American Conference tallied the first point of the game on Mike McKenna (Las Vegas) at 4:26 when Brad Schell (Gwinnett) scored after teammate Ryan Lang (Augusta) put the puck in front of the net. Kevin Baker (Texas) also recorded a helper.
The tying goal drew a roar from the crowd when hometown favorite Derek Nesbitt faked a shot on goalie and game MVP Adam Berkhoel, and then scored on a backhander. Troy Bodie (Stockton) and Nathan Marks (Stockton) each recorded an assist.
The American Conference scored all three goals against netminder Devan Dubnyk (Stockton) in the middle frame, beginning with Kevin Baker's (Texas) tap in at 1:30. The fifth goal of the game came from Ken Magowan (Toledo) after he skated the puck in, took a shot on Dubnyk, who made the save, but then Magowan managed to dig it out of the goalie's pads and tucked it behind the sprawled-out goalie at 8:55. Colton Fretter (Gwinnett) tallied at 16:44 on a rebound, after Dubnyk had gone down on his knees to stop the original shot and was caught out of position.
The National Conference mounted a comeback in the third period. Last year's All-Star MVP Luke Curtin (Fresno) made a nice maneuver, beating out a defenseman, and scored five hole on goalie MacDonald. Beau Geisler (Stockton) got the assist at 4:12. The goal gave the National team a boost, and Greg Rallo (Idaho) took the puck into the corner, passed it into the slot and to a wide open Julian Talbot (Alaska) who notched his team's third goal of the evening just a couple minutes later. But that was all the National Conference could do, as Laliberte pushed the lead back to two goals and the Americans later put the game away on an empty-netter from Jamie Tardif (Toledo) at 19:01.
TRENTON TITANS - The Buzz is Back!!! - Full and partial season tickets plans for the 2006-07 season are available by calling a Titans Ticket Representative at (609) 599-9500.
The Trenton Titans are a member of the ECHL - North America's Premier "AA" Hockey League. The Trenton Titans are owned and operated by the National Hockey League's New Jersey Devils.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 18, 2007
- Salmon Kings announce webcast - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Lang registers assist at All-Star Game - Augusta Lynx
- Stockton Thunder Fans Let Fur Fly for Charity - Stockton Thunder
- Lynx prepare for Inferno Friday - Augusta Lynx
- Ice Pilots two game home stand starts Friday versus Texas - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Bombers want to help end domestic violence - Dayton Bombers
- Bombers Help Community - Dayton Bombers
- Stingrays Activate Werner - South Carolina Stingrays
- Storm Assigned Evan McGrath From Grand Rapids - Toledo Walleye
- Checkers Race Night to benefit Victory Junction Gang Camp - Charlotte Checkers
- Cyclones Join b2 Networks For Remainder of Season - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Berkhoel Wins MVP - Dayton Bombers
- Ice Pilots forward Rob Rankin gets two assists at All-Star Game - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- All-Star Game recap - Stockton Thunder
- Laliberte helps seal American Conference All-Star victory - Trenton Devils
- American Conference Wins Rbk Hockey All-Star Game 6-3 - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.