Lakeland Magic Late Surge Not Enough against the Drive
The Lakeland Magic (19-19), the NBA G League affiliate of the Orlando Magic, lost to the Grand Rapids Drive (22-18), 102-93 in front of a home crowd at the RP Funding Center. Tonight's win marked the 8th consecutive win for the Drive.
Grand Rapids was a strong force from the start outscoring the Magic 25-16 in the first quarter by shooting 50 percent (10-20) from the field and 41.7 percent (5-12) from three compared to the Magic's 31.6 percent (6-19) and 10 percent (1-10) from three. The Drive continued to outscore the Magic in the second quarter taking the score 60-41 heading into the locker room at the half. The Magic trend continued into the third quarter with a score 80-69 going into the fourth. Lakeland turned on the Magic in the fourth getting to within 1-point of the Drive with just 4:18 left in the game but couldn't hold on as the Drive pushed through to the final score 102-93.
Jonathan Isaac was able to increase his playing time to 18:31 tonight and posted 8 points and 3 rebounds. Jamel Artis led the team in scoring with 30 points, his second game tallying 30+ points this season. Troy Caupain made a big contribution with 19 points, 5 rebounds and 5 assists. Alan Anderson had 11 points off the bench.
For the Drive, Kay Felder had 23 points, 5 rebounds and 4 assists. Jamel Morris had 19 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists. KJ McDaniels had 15 points and 8 rebounds. Landry Nnoko had an impact with 8 points and 13 rebounds.
The Magic play their next game on the road against the Delaware 87ers on Monday, February 25, at 6:30 p.m. The game can be seen on Eleven Sports. The Grand Rapids Drive take on the Fort Wayne Mad Ants on Wednesday, February 28, at 11:00 a.m.
Lakeland Magic single game tickets and group tickets are available now. For ticket information, visit lakelandmagic.com or call 863.825.3258.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 24, 2018
- Salt Lake City Steals a W in Texas - Texas Legends
- Lakeland Magic Tip off Partnership with Publix Super Markets - Lakeland Magic
- Lakeland Magic Late Surge Not Enough against the Drive - Lakeland Magic
- Charge Sink BayHawks - Canton Charge
- Phoenix Suns Recall Davon Reed from Northern Arizona - Northern Arizona Suns
- Bighorns Fall in Wire-To-Wire Thriller - Reno Bighorns
- Westchester Knicks' Drought at Home against Raptors 905 Extinct with 110-107 Win - Westchester Knicks
- Hustle Snap Losing Streak against Bighorns - Memphis Hustle
- Lakeland Magic Release Kevin Foster - Lakeland Magic
- Los Angeles Lakers Assign Thomas Bryant to South Bay - South Bay Lakers
- Pacers Assign Ike Anigbogu to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Mad Ants Acquire Michael Orris and Release Skylar Spencer - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Atlanta Hawks Transfer Josh Magette and Andrew White III from Atlanta to Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Blue Comes up Short against Spurs - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- Lakeland Magic Trade Returning Rights of Kalin Lucas
- Lakeland Magic Trade Returning Rights of Rodney Purvis
- Lakeland Magic 2018-19 Promotional Calendar Announced
- Lakeland Magic Trade Returning Rights of Maverick Rowan
- Lakeland Magic Host Inaugural 5K on October 27