Lakeland Magic Become Lakeland Swans
In a tribute to the community and to celebrate what the city embodies, the Lakeland Magic will change their name, logo and jersey to the Lakeland Swans on Friday, March 22.
Upon the team's arrival in Lakeland, the organization reached out to the community to help name the team that would soon call Lakeland home. Many locals voted for the team to be the Lakeland Swans. "We wanted to give a nod to those that voted so that they could see the name come to life." Wilkes said.
The Magic introduced the new name at a tip-off event held at Lake Morton. Lakeland Magic President Shelly Wilkes, General Manager Anthony Parker, and Head Coach Stan Health were joined by the entire Lakeland Magic team. Lakeland Mayor, Bill Mutz was also in attendance for the announcement. "The Lakeland Magic have embraced the local community from day one and to see the team become the Swans just emphasizes their dedication to our city." Mayor, Bill Mutz said.
The team will wear specialty jerseys representing a swan that will be auctioned off during the game with all proceeds benefiting Lakeland Volunteers in Medicine, the organization that serves as host to Lakeland's annual Swan Derby. "The community has been so supportive and we wanted to do something to show our commitment to the city." Lakeland Magic President, Shelly Wilkes said. "It's about Lakeland's history and bringing that to life."
The Lakeland Swans will take on the Raptors 905 on March 22 at 7:00PM at the RP Funding Center.
All Lakeland Electric customers will receive four complimentary tickets when they present their statement at the Box Office on the night of the game. Fans will also have the opportunity to take pictures in Lakeland's historic Swan Derby boats. The game will include special theme music, in-game performances and more.
To purchase tickets for Lakeland Swans Night or for more information, visit lkldswans.com or call 863.825.3258.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2019
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Wisconsin Herd 107-92 Tonight in Oshkosh - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Vipers Fall Short at Home to Raptors 905 Team - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Long Island Defeats Fort Wayne for Franchise-Record 28th Win - Long Island Nets
- Mad Ants' Late Rally Sparked by Mooring Not Enough against Eastern Conference's Best Long Island - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Oklahoma City Wins Overtime Nail-Biter - Oklahoma City Blue
- Lakeland Magic Become Lakeland Swans - Lakeland Magic
- Westchester Welcomes Windy City for School Day - Westchester Knicks
- Ben Wallace Bobblehead Night March 15th - Grand Rapids Drive
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Suns Play Inspired Basketball to Knock off Lakers - Northern Arizona Suns
- South Bay Falls to Northern Arizona at Home - South Bay Lakers
- Hustle Hold off Clippers for Massive Win - Memphis Hustle
- Clippers Streak Ends, Drop Crucial Game to Memphis - Agua Caliente Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakeland Magic Stories
- Lakeland Magic Forward Amile Jefferson Named to All-NBA G League Third Team
- Lakeland Secures Appearance in Eastern Conference Finals
- Lakeland's Gabe York Receives 2018-19 NBA G League Jason Collier Sportsmanship Award
- Lakeland Secures Round One Bye and Home Game in NBA G League Playoffs
- Magic Take Down 905 in Regular Season Finale