LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Tonight in Final Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) will be taking on Group F leaders, the Portland Timbers, in the Club's final group stage match of the MLS is Back tournament tonight, Thursday, July 23 at 7:30 p.m. PT on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN 710 AM and KFWB 980 AM. Immediately after the match, LAFC fans can tune in to the live postgame show on YouTube TV & Estrella TV.
Coming off a convincing 6-2 victory over the Galaxy on Saturday night, the Black & Gold currently sit in second place of Group F with 4 points (1-0-1). Forward Diego Rossi became the 13th player in MLS history to record four goals in a single game. He also became the eighth player in league history to be involved in five goals (four goals, one assist), and the only player ever to do it twice (two goals, three assists in 5-1 win at RSL on 3/10/18). A win gives LAFC a first place finish in the group, while a draw secures them second place and a ticket to the next round.
Portland currently sits atop the Group F table, automatically advancing to the next round after two 2-1 victories over the Galaxy and Houston Dynamo, seemingly continuing where they left off after an early season 1-0 victory over expansion Nashville SC before the global COVID-19 pandemic brought the MLS season to a halt.
The four previous regular season matches between the clubs have seen an extra bit of chippiness and on-field controversy, and Portland is looking to even the all-time regular season series, as LAFC currently holds a 2-1-1 advantage. LAFC has also faced the Timbers in the last two Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals. In 2018, LAFC held off the Timbers in a 3-2 victory to advance to the first semifinal in Club history. However, in 2019 the Black and Gold suffered a difficult 1-0 elimination loss, the last time the two Club's faced each other in competitive play.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2020
- Toronto FC Set to Face New York City FC in Round of 16 - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC to Face Sporting Kansas City on Sunday in MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Dallas Presents Host City Plan to FIFA for 2026 Fifa World Cup - FC Dallas
- 'Caps storm back after weather delay, advance to Round of 16 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Partners with Clear to Provide Free Co-Branded Masks to All Banc of Califorina Stadium Guests - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake to Face San Jose in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Football Club Falls 2-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes to Face Real Salt Lake in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 on July 27 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Tonight in Final Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC to Face Minnesota United FC in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, July 28 - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Tie Minnesota United FC - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Secure Second Place of Group D with Draw against Colorado - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19
- LAFC Draws the Portland Timbers 1-1 on Sunday at Providence Park
- LAFC Travels to Face the Portland Timbers Tomorrow at Providence Park
- Banc Of California Stadium To Serve As Regional Voting Center Between October 30 - November 3
- LAFC Falls to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-1 on Wednesday at Providence Park