'Caps storm back after weather delay, advance to Round of 16
REUNION, FL - Vancouver Whitecaps FC stormed back after a lengthy weather delay to overcome odds and qualify for the Knockout Stage at the MLS is Back Tournament with a 2-0 victory over Chicago Fire FC on Thursday morning.
The match came to a nail-biting finish, including two Whitecaps FC goals after the break as well as a Chicago Fire FC goal that was overturned by VAR in the final 10 minutes of regulation at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
The 'Caps now advance to the Round of 16 on Sunday, July 26. They will face either Group C winner Toronto FC at 5:30 p.m. PT or Group D winner Sporting Kansas City at 8 p.m. PT.
The match came to a pause after seeing nearby lightning strikes shortly after the hour mark but the 'Caps came back from the break with a pep in their step with the insertion of substitutes Cristian DÃ¡jome and Yordy Reyna.
Within minutes of the resumption of play, Ali Adnan slipped a ball through to an advancing Reyna, who eluded Fire goalkeeper Kenneth Kronholm and slotted in the crucial opening score.
Then in the 71st minute, it was the two connecting once again, as Adnan headed a ball ahead to Reyna, who chested it down then popped a forward pass to a sprinting DÃ¡jome. The Colombian scored his second goal of the tournament and gave the 'Caps the two-goal advantage they needed to advance.
Fire striker CJ Sapong appeared to have played spoiler when he muscled a rebounded ball into the 'Caps net but video review showed that the ball was pushed in with his arm, keeping the scoreline at 2-0.
The 'Caps defence did the rest, staying firm against the Fire attack. 21-year old Homegrown goalkeeper Thomas Hasal recorded four saves to complete the clean sheet in his first MLS start in place of injured starter Maxime Crépeau.
Stay tuned to whitecapsfc.com for news and updates, including the 'Caps tournament schedule.
ADDITIONAL NOTES: The 'Caps, who were without nine players, fielded a young XI including three Canadians at age 21 in Hasal and forwards Theo Bair and Ryan Raposo. Like Hasal, Raposo was making his first MLS start... Centre back Jasser Khmiri limped off the pitch shortly before halftime with a left knee injury.
VWFC Man of the Match: Yordy Reyna
Referee: Armando Villarreal
65' - VAN - Yordy Reyna (Ali Adnan)
71' - VAN - Cristian DÃ¡jome (Yordy Reyna)
Possession: CHI 61.1% - VAN 38.9%
Shots: CHI 24 - VAN 4
Shots on Goal: CHI 5 - VAN 2
Saves: CHI 0 - VAN 4
Fouls: CHI 14 - VAN 7
Offsides: CHI 2 - VAN 2
Corners: CHI 10 - VAN 0
71' - VAN - Thomas Hasal
81' - CHI - GastÃ³n Giménez
90'+2' - CHI - Fabian Herbers
Chicago Fire FC
18.Kenneth Kronholm; 11.Przemyslaw Frankowski, 2.Boris SekuliÄ, 22.Mauricio Pineda (28.Elliot Collier 76'), 5.Francisco Calvo ©, 3.Jonathan Bornstein (6.Miguel Ãngel Navarro 60'); 21.Fabian Herbers, 30.GastÃ³n Giménez, 10.Ãlvaro MedrÃ¡n; 7.Ignacio Aliseda (9.CJ Sapong 59'), 27.Robert BeriÄ
Substitutes not used
1.Bobby Shuttleworth, 24.Connor Sparrow, 13.Brandt Bronico, 14.Djordje MihailoviÄ, 20.Wyatt Omsberg, 25.Nicholas Slonina, 36.Andre Reynolds, 37.Javier Casas, 40.Brian Gutierrez
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
51.Thomas Hasal; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 20.Jasser Khmiri (11.Cristian DÃ¡jome 45'+3'), 4.Ranko VeselinoviÄ, 13.Derek Cornelius, 53.Ali Adnan; 6.Inbeom Hwang, 17.Leonard Owusu (3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez 63'), 31.Russell Teibert ©; 14.Theo Bair (7.David MilinkoviÄ 62'), 27.Ryan Raposo (29.Yordy Reyna 57')
Substitutes not used
40.Jonathan Sirois, 32.Patrick Metcalfe, 54.Simon Colyn, 55.Michael Baldisimo, 62.Damiano Pecile
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2020
- Toronto FC Set to Face New York City FC in Round of 16 - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC to Face Sporting Kansas City on Sunday in MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Dallas Presents Host City Plan to FIFA for 2026 Fifa World Cup - FC Dallas
- 'Caps storm back after weather delay, advance to Round of 16 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Partners with Clear to Provide Free Co-Branded Masks to All Banc of Califorina Stadium Guests - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake to Face San Jose in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Football Club Falls 2-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes to Face Real Salt Lake in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 on July 27 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Tonight in Final Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC to Face Minnesota United FC in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, July 28 - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Tie Minnesota United FC - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Secure Second Place of Group D with Draw against Colorado - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce Remaining 2020 MLS Regular Season Schedule
- Surging 'Caps open road stretch with second consecutive win
- Whitecaps FC Acquire $400,000 in MLS Allocation Money from D.C. United for Yordy Reyna
- 'Caps finish homestand on winning note behind strong team effort
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men