Rapids Tie Minnesota United FC
The Rapids started off strong thanks to Kei Kamara, who gave the club a 1-0 lead, scoring the 1,000th regular season goal in the team's history. After a couple quick goals put Minnesota in front at the end of the first half, Colorado equalized when Jonathan Lewis once again scored soon after being subbed on. Head coach Robin Fraser's second half subs gave the team the energy it needed, but it wasn't enough for the victory. The back-and-forth match ended in a tie, with the Rapids drawing to 2-2-1 on the season.
Minnesota United clinched second place in Group D Thursday at the MLS is Back Tournament, battling the Colorado Rapids to a 2-2 draw in the nightcap at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Colorado were already eliminated after Sporting Kansas City's 2-0 win over Real Salt Lake earlier in the day.
The scoring got underway in the 19th minute via Colorado striker Kei Kamara, as he slotted home at the near post for a 1-0 lead after being played through by Nicolas Benezet.
But the Rapids' lead was short-lived, as Ethan Finlay made it 1-1 in the 36th minute with his first of two goals. The Minnesota winger flicked home a low, driven cross from Jan Gregus off a free kick, showing clever instincts.
Finlay then bagged his brace in the 43rd minute, one-timing a Romain Metanire cross home after a powerful run from the Minnesota right back. He peeled of the Rapids' back line with precise movement in the 18-yard box.
The back-and-forth nature continued into the 59th minute, when Jonathan Lewis made it 2-2 with a powerful half-volley following a free kick. The US men's national team winger was quickest to a loose ball and smashed it home.
Colorado striker Diego Rubio had several golden chances to equalize before Lewis' strike, most notably hitting the post in the 46th minute. William Yarbrough also made six saves in his second start for the Rapids, even as they depart with a 0-2-1 tournament record.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2020
- Toronto FC Set to Face New York City FC in Round of 16 - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC to Face Sporting Kansas City on Sunday in MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Dallas Presents Host City Plan to FIFA for 2026 Fifa World Cup - FC Dallas
- 'Caps storm back after weather delay, advance to Round of 16 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Partners with Clear to Provide Free Co-Branded Masks to All Banc of Califorina Stadium Guests - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake to Face San Jose in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Football Club Falls 2-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes to Face Real Salt Lake in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 on July 27 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Tonight in Final Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC to Face Minnesota United FC in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, July 28 - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Tie Minnesota United FC - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Secure Second Place of Group D with Draw against Colorado - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Announce Club Will Not Host Fans at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on November 1
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: October 28, 2020
- Jack Price Dons Captain's Armband Inspired by Denver's Black Lives Matter Street Art
- Second Half Woes Sink Rapids
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020