Chicago Fire Football Club Falls 2-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC
ORLANDO, Fla. - Chicago Fire FC (MLS is Back Tournament: 1-2-0, 3 points / MLS regular season: 1-3-1, 4 points) fell 2-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC (MLS is Back Tournament: 1-2-0, 3 points / MLS regular season: 2-3-0, 6 points) in its third match of the MLS is Back Tournament at ESPN's Wide World of Sports in Orlando, Florida.
In the first half, Chicago controlled the game, dominating Vancouver in shots (10-1) and possession (59-41 percent). Despite the non-stop attacking pressure from the Fire, the match remained level heading into halftime.
In the 63rd minute, the match entered a weather delay due to lightning. After a one hour and 33 minute delay, Vancouver took the lead two minutes into the return to play. Whitecaps FC defender Ali Adnan split a pass through the Fire backline to Yordy Reyna who took a touch and found the back of the net for Vancouver. Whitecaps FC doubled their lead with a goal from Cristian DÃ¡jome in the 71st minute.
The Fire nearly had a goal back in the 84th minute, which would have been enough to advance despite the loss, but a CJ Sapong goal was called back via video assistant referee (VAR) due to a handball.
With the loss the Fire have been eliminated from the MLS is Back Tournament after placing fourth in Group B. To view the MLS is Back Tournament standings, click here.
Social: Twitter - @chicagofire, @vamosfire | Instagram - @chicagofire | Facebook
Thursday's match marked the Fire's third and final group stage game in the MLS is Back Tournament.
Chicago led Vancouver in shots (25-4), shots on target (5-2), possession (61-39) and corners (10-0).
Defender Francisco Calvo captained the Fire and wore a captain's armband that represents the Black Lives Matter movement. The armband was designed by Chicago-based artist and former Northwestern student-athlete Dwight White. For more information on the design, click here. Calvo has worn the captain's armband in all five games this season.
Forward Ignacio Aliseda made his first career MLS start in today's match. Aliseda recently made his Fire debut on July 19 in the team's match against the San Jose Earthquakes.
VAN - Yordy Reyna 65th minute (WATCH): Following an hour-long match delay, Yordy Reyna managed to score against the run of play, receiving a through ball from defender Ali Adnan before finding the back of the net.
VAN - Cristian DÃ¡jome 71st minute (WATCH): Midfielder Cristian DÃ¡jome provided the second goal of the game, running onto Reyna's headed pass before scoring from inside the 18-yard box.
Key attacking plays:
CHI - GastÃ³n Giménez 3rd minute: Running onto midfielder Ãlvaro MedrÃ¡n's curling corner kick, midfielder Giménez flicked a dangerous header on target, forcing a goal-line clearance.
CHI - Robert BeriÄ 20th minute: MedrÃ¡n played a quick pass in behind to forward BeriÄ, who skipped past his marker before hitting a left-footed shot on target.
CHI - PrzemysÅaw Frankowski 47th minute: With the Fire dispossessing Vancouver deep in their own half, MedrÃ¡n was played into the 18-yard box by forward Aliseda. MedrÃ¡n played a precise cross to the back post for Frankowski, who rattled his header off the post from close range.
CHI - Robert BeriÄ 54th minute: BeriÄ received a well-weighted pass from defender Jonathan Bornstein on the edge of the 18-yard box and fired a strong attempt on target. BeriÄ's shot was the Fire's 13th attempt of the match.
CHI - PrzemysÅaw Frankowski 58th minute: Frankowski powered his way into the final third and struck a low, driven attempt that skipped just wide of the far post.
CHI - Robert BeriÄ 79th minute: The Fire created a strong opportunity to score when Giménez slipped a pass inside the 18-yard box for forward CJ Sapong, who pulled the ball back toward the center of the box for BeriÄ. The striker's first-time attempt went high of the target.
Chicago Fire FC 0:2 Vancouver Whitecaps FC
VAN - Reyna (1) (Adnan 2) 65'
VAN - DÃ¡jome (2) (Reyna 1) 71'
VAN - Hasal (Caution) 71'
CHI - Giménez (Caution) 81'
CHI - Herbers (Caution) 90' + 2'
Chicago Fire FC: GK Kronholm, D Frankowski, D SekuliÄ, D Pineda (F Collier 76'), D Calvo ©, D Bornstein (D Navarro 60'), M Giménez, M MedrÃ¡n, M Herbers, F BeriÄ, F Aliseda (F Sapong 59')
Subs not used: GK Shuttleworth, GK Sparrow, D Omsberg, D N. Slonina, D Reynolds II, M Bronico, M Casas, M MihailoviÄ
Shots: 25 Shots on goal: 5 Fouls: 14 Offsides: 2 Corners: 10 Possession: 61.2%
Vancouver Whitecaps FC: GK Hasal, D Veselinovic, D Cornelius, D Khmiri (M Dajome 45'+3'), D Nerwinski, D Adnan, M Hwang, M Owsu (D Gutierrez 63'), M Teibert ©, F Bair (M Milinkovic 62'), F Raposo (F Reyna 57')
Subs not used: GK Sirois, M Metcalfe, M Colyn, M Baldisimo, M Pecile
Shots: 4 Shots on goal: 2 Fouls: 7 Offsides: 2 Corners: 0 Possession: 38.8%
Referee: Armando Villareal
Assistant Referees: Kathryn Nesbitt, Logan Brown
Fourth Official: Rubiel Vazquez
VAR: Timothy Ford
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2020
- Toronto FC Set to Face New York City FC in Round of 16 - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC to Face Sporting Kansas City on Sunday in MLS Is Back Tournament - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Dallas Presents Host City Plan to FIFA for 2026 Fifa World Cup - FC Dallas
- 'Caps storm back after weather delay, advance to Round of 16 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Partners with Clear to Provide Free Co-Branded Masks to All Banc of Califorina Stadium Guests - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake to Face San Jose in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Football Club Falls 2-0 to Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes to Face Real Salt Lake in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 on July 27 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC to Face Portland Timbers Tonight in Final Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC to Face Minnesota United FC in MLS Is Back Tournament Round of 16 Match on Tuesday, July 28 - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Tie Minnesota United FC - Colorado Rapids
- MNUFC Secure Second Place of Group D with Draw against Colorado - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 14-20
- Chicago Fire FC Draw 2-2 with Columbus Crew SC at Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 7-13
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-1 to New England Revolution