LAFC Defeats Columbus Crew 2-0
LAFC got back to its winning ways, defeating the Columbus Crew 2-0 at Lower.com Field on Saturday evening and climbing back to the top of the Major League Soccer standings with an 8-3-2 record and 26 points.
Carlos Vela, who was subbed into the match in the second half opened the scoring in the 62', notching his team-best sixth goal of the season. Jose Cifuentes who entered the match in the 61' added to the lead, taking advantage of another defensive error to give LAFC a two-goal lead.
The Black & Gold will be back in action on Wednesday, May 25 when they face the LA Galaxy at Dignity Sports Park in the Lamar Hunt Open Cup Round of 16. That game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on ESPN+ and on radio on ESPN 710 AM, ESPN LA App, and 980 AM La Mera La Mera.
NEWS & NOTES:
LAFC has claimed 12 points on the road and holds 4-2-0 on the road (8-3-2 overall).
The Black & Gold remain undefeated against Columbus winning all three contests and have yet to concede a goal to the Crew since LAFC entered the league in 2018.
Carlos Vela's 86th minute goal was his team-best sixth of the season and 63rd regular season goal of his career. Vela now has 101 total goals and assists in 99 games played.
Carlos Vela now scored a goal in two consecutive matches, the last time Vela scored a goal in at least two consecutive matches was July 17-28, 2021 (4 consecutive matches with one goal)
Jose Cifuentes scored his third goal of the season. His third goal coming as substitute player.
LAFC DEFEATS COLUMBUS CREW 2-0
Los Angeles Football Club
818 W 7th Street #1200
Los Angeles, CA 90017
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2022
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to 24 - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Draws 2-2 at Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Late New England Winner Sinks FC Cincinnati, 3-2 - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Score Late to Earn 3-2 Win at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- LAFC Defeats Columbus Crew 2-0 - Los Angeles FC
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Inducts Six New Members - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Eligible for Extreme Hardship, Sign York United FC Goalkeeper Nikolaos Giantsopoulos to a Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign BMO Academy Goalkeeper Max Anchor to MLS Pre-Contract and MLS Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids Host Seattle Sounders in First-Ever Doubleheader at DSGP - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Travel to South Florida to Battle Inter Miami CF on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Keys against Seattle: Manage the Midfield and Keep the Streak Alive - Colorado Rapids
- CF Montréal to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday - Club de Foot Montreal
- Avenge Your Home: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Open-Three Game Road Trip on Sunday against LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo FC
- Columbus Crew Hosts LAFC at Lower.com Field Today - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Travels to Take on Austin FC - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Sign Mehdi Essoussi to a Short-Term Agreement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.