Rapids Host Seattle Sounders in First-Ever Doubleheader at DSGP
The Colorado Rapids (4-5-3, 15 pts) will close out a stretch of five matches in 16 days as they host Seattle Sounders FC (4-5-1, 13 pts) at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on Sunday, May 22 (6:00 p.m. MT; Altitude Sports, Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM).
Sunday's match is the first of two regular-season encounters between the Rapids and the Sounders this year. Robin Fraser's side are unbeaten in 22 straight regular-season home matches, a club record that is also tied for the fifth-longest regular-season home unbeaten run in MLS history; a result on Sunday would equal the fourth-longest home unbeaten run in league history (23). The Rapids have not lost to the Sounders at home since July 4, 2018, recording two wins and two draws and outscoring Seattle 7-3 in their last four regular-season meetings in Colorado.
Rapids goalkeeper William Yarbrough recorded his fifth clean sheet of the year during his last home match on May 14, tying him for second-most in MLS. The two-time Liga MX champion is one shutout away from tying Tim Howard for fourth-most clean sheets in club history (23). Forward Diego Rubio leads the Rapids with six goals in 2022 and will be looking to score in his third consecutive home match.
Despite their recent success in the Concacaf Champions League, the Sounders arrive in Commerce City with two wins and three losses in their last five MLS regular-season matches. Seattle is coming off a 1-0 road win against the Houston Dynamo that saw Designated Player Raul Ruidíaz score the game-winner in the 28th minute. The Peruvian now has two goals and one assist in his last three MLS matches and four goals and one assist in his last five appearances across all competitions. Against Colorado, the Sounders will be without El Salvador National Team captain Alex Roldán after he was sent off following a second booking in the 82nd minute for his foul on Dynamo forward Beto Avila. DP midfielder Nicolás Lodeiro currently leads the Sounders with three assists and is tied with three other Sounders' with two goals in 2022.
Sunday's match will be followed by the first-ever Rapids doubleheader at DSGP, as Colorado Rapids 2 host Tacoma Defiance at 9 p.m. MT. Tickets to the Rapids' MLS match include admission to the Rapids 2 match, as well.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 21, 2022
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to 24 - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Draws 2-2 at Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Toronto FC (2) - D.C. United (2) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Late New England Winner Sinks FC Cincinnati, 3-2 - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Score Late to Earn 3-2 Win at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- LAFC Defeats Columbus Crew 2-0 - Los Angeles FC
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Inducts Six New Members - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Eligible for Extreme Hardship, Sign York United FC Goalkeeper Nikolaos Giantsopoulos to a Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign BMO Academy Goalkeeper Max Anchor to MLS Pre-Contract and MLS Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Rapids Host Seattle Sounders in First-Ever Doubleheader at DSGP - Colorado Rapids
- Red Bulls Travel to South Florida to Battle Inter Miami CF on Sunday - New York Red Bulls
- Keys against Seattle: Manage the Midfield and Keep the Streak Alive - Colorado Rapids
- CF Montréal to Host Real Salt Lake on Sunday - Club de Foot Montreal
- Avenge Your Home: Ingredients of the Match - Charlotte FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Open-Three Game Road Trip on Sunday against LA Galaxy - Houston Dynamo FC
- Columbus Crew Hosts LAFC at Lower.com Field Today - Columbus Crew SC
- Orlando City Travels to Take on Austin FC - Orlando City SC
- Toronto FC Sign Mehdi Essoussi to a Short-Term Agreement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Transfer Nicolás Mezquida to Greece's Volos FC
- Breaking New Ground: Abe Rodriguez Makes Club History as Youngest Rapids Goalkeeper with Debut against Portland
- Rodriguez Makes MLS Debut, Rapids Fall to Timbers 3-0 on the Road
- Altitude Homecoming: Rapids Welcome Colorado Natives Back to DICK'S Sporting Goods Park for USWNT Match
- Rapids Travel to the Rose City on Saturday to Face the Timbers