LAFC Adds Defender Diego Palacios
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that the Club has acquired defender Diego Palacios using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). The 20-year old arrives from SD Aucas of Primera CategorÃ-a Serie A in Ecuador after spending the 2018 season on loan to Willem II of the Eredivisie, the top league in Holland.
"Diego is an impressive young player who has drawn interest from some of the top clubs in the world," LAFC EVP & General Manager John Thorrington said. "We are excited that Diego has chosen to come to Los Angeles to develop and grow in the next stage of his career."
Last season, Palacios played on loan to Dutch club Willem II, where he started all 32 appearances across all competitions for the Eredivisie club, adding three assists and logging 2,785 minutes. Palacios started and played 90 minutes in a loss to Ajax in the KNVB Cup Final, the annual Dutch national football competition.
The dynamic defender worked his way through the youth ranks of top Ecuadorian Club SD Aucas, making his senior team debut in the 2017-18 season. In a successful first professional season, Palacios appeared in 23 matches across all competitions, scoring one goal and adding three assists, logging 2,001 total minutes played.
"Diego is a young, talented left back and we're really excited because we think he's another player that fits well with everything we try to do," said LAFC head coach Bob Bradley.
Palacios made his Senior National Team debut for Ecuador against Qatar on October 12, 2018 after shining in 20 appearances with the Ecuadorian U-20 National Team, including appearances for the 2019 U-20 South American Championship winning squad and most recently in the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
The transaction occurred prior to the close of Major League Soccer's Summer Transfer Window on Wednesday, August 7 at 11:59 p.m. CT.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) has acquired 20-year-old defender Diego Palacios using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM).
Full Name: Diego José Palacios Espinoza
Weight: 143 lbs.
Birthplace: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Last Club: SD Aucas
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2019
- Atlanta United and Club America Rosters Announced Ahead of the 2019 Campeones Cup - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Adds Defender Diego Palacios - Los Angeles FC
- Midfielder Omar Browne Returns to Panama - Montreal Impact
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Host Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Przemyslaw Tyton named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Transfers Midfielder Henry Wingo to Norwegian Side Molde FK - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce New Academy Staff Structure - New York Red Bulls
- Blue Man Group to Make Halftime Appearance at Orlando City SC's "Neon Nightâ? on Wednesday, August 14 - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Remains Undefeated at Home, Downs New York Red Bulls 4-2 on Sunday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Red Bulls Fall Short on the Road to LAFC, 4-2 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC to Face Cruz Azul in Single-Leg Quarterfinal on Wednesday, December 16 at 7:30 PM PT
- LAFC Falls to the Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 in First Round of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- LAFC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- LAFC Prepares for Playoffs with for Los Angeles Specials at L.A. Restaurants
- LAFC Collaborates with Postmates to Bring Gear to Fans' Doorsteps