New York Red Bulls Announce New Academy Staff Structure
HARRISON, N.J. -The New York Red Bulls have made hires for new positions within the Red Bulls Academy, the club announced today. The club has appointed Ryan Brooks as Senior Manager, Academy Business Operations, and Sam Gough as Education and Welfare Officer for Red Bulls Academy. The new positions are part of a restructured academy business operation and will begin work ahead of the Fall U.S. Soccer Development Academy Season.
The two business-specific positions will be supported by Red Bulls Senior Director of Youth Programs and Academy Business Operations, Dave Jervis, while new Academy Director Sean McCafferty oversees all technical and sporting aspects of Red Bulls Academy. The new positions evolve the academy's operational structure to better support the continued growth and development of Red Bulls Academy, with an emphasis on providing world-class player development as well as support to players and families.
Brooks joins the Red Bulls with experience at several MLS clubs, having managed day-to-day academy operations with Minnesota United FC and the Chicago Fire. Brooks also worked as a Player Development Camp Coordinator with the Columbus Crew.
"I'm excited to join the Red Bulls organization," said Brooks. "Day-to-day operations are critical for the success of a progressive MLS academy, to ensure the best environment for our players. In addition, creating and developing off-field initiatives that directly impact the long-term technical vision of the Academy will be a priority, to ensure that the Red Bulls Academy remains at the forefront of player development in North America."
In his most recent role with Minnesota, Brooks oversaw day-to-day academy operations, developed and implemented a residency program for academy players, managed budget, and established an affiliate program for player and coach development.
Brooks earned his Masters in Sports Leadership from Duquesne University in 2009, and his Bachelor of Science degree from St. John's University in 2005.
Gough, who began his professional career as a Regional Club Development Officer with the MetroStars, has more than 15 years of experience as an educator in the state of New Jersey. Gough currently serves as the Principal and Director of Education for the Scholar Athletes Leadership Academy in New Jersey, a position he has held since 2015.
"Prioritizing the educational welfare of our academy prospects requires holistic oversight and personalized initiatives that represent a synergetic approach to their academics and athletics," said Gough. "The creation of this role will fortify our reputation as a club thoroughly invested in young people."
Gough will be focused on player welfare, player education programs and management of the club's homestay program, a new initiative which is being used to help bring in high potential talent from outside of the local area.
Additional hires to round out the academy coaching staff will be announced in the coming weeks, ahead of the Fall USSDA season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2019
- Atlanta United and Club America Rosters Announced Ahead of the 2019 Campeones Cup - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Adds Defender Diego Palacios - Los Angeles FC
- Midfielder Omar Browne Returns to Panama - Montreal Impact
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Host Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Przemyslaw Tyton named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Transfers Midfielder Henry Wingo to Norwegian Side Molde FK - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce New Academy Staff Structure - New York Red Bulls
- Blue Man Group to Make Halftime Appearance at Orlando City SC's "Neon Nightâ? on Wednesday, August 14 - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Remains Undefeated at Home, Downs New York Red Bulls 4-2 on Sunday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Red Bulls Fall Short on the Road to LAFC, 4-2 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Statement on NYCFC Confirmed Case of COVID-19
- New York Red Bulls Club Statement: March 19, 2020
- Greece, Costa Rica Match at Red Bull Arena Canceled
- New York Red Bulls Issue Statement on Suspended Season
- New York Red Bulls Sign French Defender Jason Pendant