LAFC Remains Undefeated at Home, Downs New York Red Bulls 4-2 on Sunday Night
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) extended its home unbeaten streak to 11 matches after defeating the New York Red Bulls 4-2 on Sunday night at Banc of California Stadium. Four different players found the back of the net, including Jordan Harvey and Eddie Segura's first goals of the season, while Carlos Vela now has the most goals by a Mexican-born player in MLS history with 37.
Harvey opened up the scoresheet for the home side in the 23rd minute after getting on the end of a cross from Vela. Latif Blessing would tally his second goal in as many games two minutes later beating a Red Bulls defender to the ball, sending it past Luis Robles. Moments prior to halftime, the Red Bulls would level things up with goals from Cristian Casseres Jr. and an own goal by Tyler Miller.
After the restart, Vela would get his league-high 23rd tally of the season from the penalty spot and his 15th assist with another perfectly placed cross into the box that was flicked to the back of the net by Segura. With a goal and two assists on the night, Vela is now tied with Sebastian Giovinco for the most combined goals and assists in a single MLS season.
With the win, the Black & Gold stay atop the Supporters' Shield standings with a 17-3-4 record (55 points). LAFC will now get set to take on Real Salt Lake on Saturday, August 17 at Rio Tinto Stadium. The Week 24 contest in Sandy, Utah is scheduled 7:00 pm. PT and will be broadcast on YouTube TV, Univision KVMD, ESPN 710 AM, KFWB 980.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2019
- Atlanta United and Club America Rosters Announced Ahead of the 2019 Campeones Cup - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Adds Defender Diego Palacios - Los Angeles FC
- Midfielder Omar Browne Returns to Panama - Club de Foot Montreal
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Host Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Przemyslaw Tyton named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Transfers Midfielder Henry Wingo to Norwegian Side Molde FK - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce New Academy Staff Structure - New York Red Bulls
- Blue Man Group to Make Halftime Appearance at Orlando City SC's "Neon Nightâ? on Wednesday, August 14 - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Remains Undefeated at Home, Downs New York Red Bulls 4-2 on Sunday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Red Bulls Fall Short on the Road to LAFC, 4-2 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Acquire Forward Michee Ngalina on Loan and International Roster Slot
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin
- LAFC Adds MLS Pool Goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh Ahead of Austin Match
- LAFC Signs English Goalkeeper Jamal Blackman
- Cristian Arango Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 24