Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019
The San Jose Earthquakes suffered their first defeat in six matches (4-1-1) on Saturday night, falling 2-1 to the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. Midfielder Vako scored San Jose's lone goal, his seventh in the last nine games, and Mexican midfielder Carlos Fierro made his MLS debut.
San Jose remain in the top four in the Western Conference, tied on points with third-place Minnesota United FC and one point behind second-place Seattle Sounders FC. San Jose's three-match road stretch continues with a trip to Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, August 17 at Children's Mercy Park. Saturday's match is set for 5:30 p.m. PT, and will be broadcast live on NBC Sports California, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
Where Things Stand
San Jose holds a 11-8-5 record this season and sits in fourth place in the Western Conference, level on points with third-place Minnesota and one point behind second-place Seattle. The Earthquakes are 11-4-5 since the start of April.
Time to Start Another
The loss on Saturday at Colorado snaps the Quakes' unbeaten streak at five (4-0-1). San Jose has had three different unbeaten streaks of at least four matches this season.
The Earthquakes have won each of their last four matches following a loss.
New Face on the Field
Carlos Fierro made his MLS debut in Colorado, entering as a substitute for Shea Salinas in the 58th minute. The Mexican midfielder joined the Quakes via permanent transfer from Cruz Azul in June.
Continuing a Hot Streak
Midfielder Vako scored his eighth goal of the season and 23rd of his MLS career on Saturday in Colorado. He has now scored seven goals in the last nine matches.
Lending a Helping Hand
Forward Danny Hoesen was credited with the assist on Vako's goal on Saturday. It marked his second assist of the season and 11th of his MLS career.
The Quakes are 25-26-8 all-time against Sporting Kansas City, including an 8-20-1 record on the road.
San Jose will be seeking just their second win in Kansas City since August of 2004 (1-11-0).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2019
- Atlanta United and Club America Rosters Announced Ahead of the 2019 Campeones Cup - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Adds Defender Diego Palacios - Los Angeles FC
- Midfielder Omar Browne Returns to Panama - Montreal Impact
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Host Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Przemyslaw Tyton named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Transfers Midfielder Henry Wingo to Norwegian Side Molde FK - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce New Academy Staff Structure - New York Red Bulls
- Blue Man Group to Make Halftime Appearance at Orlando City SC's "Neon Nightâ? on Wednesday, August 14 - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Remains Undefeated at Home, Downs New York Red Bulls 4-2 on Sunday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Red Bulls Fall Short on the Road to LAFC, 4-2 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Late Goals Drop Short-Handed Earthquakes at Atlanta
- Limited Tickets Remain for Home Finale vs. Seattle on September 29
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 16, 2019
- Chris Wondolowski scores goal No. 158 of his MLS career in loss
- Quakes snap two-match winning streak