Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week
August 12, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Atlanta United forward Josef MartÃnez was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 23rd week of the 2019 MLS season.
MartÃnez recorded a brace in Atlanta's 2-1 victory over New York City FC at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sunday, setting an MLS record with a goal scored in 10 consecutive matches played. With 15 goals over his previous 10 games, MartÃnez now has 20 goals this season, second most in the league. The 15 goals scored over 10 matches also equals the MLS record for goals scored over that span of games, which MartÃnez set last season. Atlanta sits second in the Eastern Conference with 42 points (13-9-3 overall record).
With the match scoreless late in the first half, MartÃnez gave Atlanta a 1-0 lead in the 42nd minute. Julian Gressel sent a cross from the right flank into the box, as MartÃnez elevated to beat a defender to the ball and finished with a header that snuck past the goalkeeper just inside the left post.
The Venezuela international doubled Atlanta's lead in the 63rd minute when he converted a penalty kick with a powerful shot into the upper left corner.
Atlanta United face Club AmÃ©rica on Wednesday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium for the Campeones Cup (8 p.m. ET, ESPN2 / Univision / TUDN / TSN1 / TSN4), before returning to regular season action on Sunday, August 18 when traveling to face the Portland Timbers at Providence Park (10 p.m. ET, FS1 / FOX Deportes / FOX Sports Go / TSN2).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
Atlanta United forward Josef Martinez
(Major League Soccer, LLC)
â¢ Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2019
- Atlanta United and Club America Rosters Announced Ahead of the 2019 Campeones Cup - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Adds Defender Diego Palacios - Los Angeles FC
- Midfielder Omar Browne Returns to Panama - Club de Foot Montreal
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Forward Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Preview: Orlando City Host Sporting Kansas City on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Przemyslaw Tyton named to MLS Team of the Week - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Transfers Midfielder Henry Wingo to Norwegian Side Molde FK - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 12, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- New York Red Bulls Announce New Academy Staff Structure - New York Red Bulls
- Blue Man Group to Make Halftime Appearance at Orlando City SC's "Neon NightÃ¢?Â on Wednesday, August 14 - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Remains Undefeated at Home, Downs New York Red Bulls 4-2 on Sunday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Red Bulls Fall Short on the Road to LAFC, 4-2 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.