LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 2, Portland Timbers 5 - Wednesday, October 28, 2020
The LA Galaxy fell to the Portland Timbers 5-2 on the road at Providence Park on Wednesday evening.
With the result, the Galaxy are now 5-11-3 on the season with 18 points.
The club has three scheduled regular season games remaining in 2020 MLS Regular Season Play.
In their next match, the Galaxy will return to Dignity Health Sports Park for a match vs. Real Salt Lake on Sunday, Nov. 1 at 7:30 p.m. PT.
LA Galaxy forward Cristian Pavon scored twice on Wednesday evening, bringing his total to nine goals this year.
In all, Pavon now has 12 goals and 15 assists in just 30 MLS games as a member of the LA Galaxy.
LA Galaxy midfielder Jonathan dos Santos and defender Rolf Feltscher returned from international duty last to start their second straight contest.
LA Galaxy goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann started his fourth-straight match for the Galaxy after signing with the club earlier this season.
LA GALAXY HEAD COACH GUILLERMO BARROS SCHELOTTO
On the game:
"...I came here to say we have three games left. We have some possibilities; we need to win these three games and wait for all the results to get to playoffs. Talking about tonight, I think I am very disappointed with what we did in the first half especially. We gave them a lot of advantage and I prefer to think about [what's ahead], just one week and three games. We need to win. We have some possibilities and we need to go forward and that's it. I think there's nothing more important than that to say tonight... Good night, thank you very much for understanding."
Sobre el partido de hoy y lo que viene:
"La verdad, el primer tiempo que tuvimos cometimos muchos errores defensivos y no es necesario charlarlo. PodrÃamos estar un buen rato charlando de todo lo que pasÃ³ en el primer tiempo, la reacciÃ³n del segundo [tiempo], lo cerca que estuvimos desde lo futbolÃstico de poder seguir acercÃ¡ndonos después del 3-1 pero el resultado es definitivo. Nos quedan tres partidos de acÃ¡ a diez dÃas, y tenemos que enfocarnos a ganarlos. Tenemos algunas posibilidades todavÃa de Playoffs. Trabajar y pensar en eso. Solamente quiero decir eso. Trabajaremos para ver la posibilidad de ganar y estar con la posibilidad de entrar a Playoffs segÃºn los otros resultados. Les agradezco y entiendan el momento y buenas noches."
*Translated from Spanish:
"The truth is the first half we made a lot of defensive mistakes and it is not necessary to talk about it. We could spend a long time chatting about everything that happened in the first half, the team's reaction in the second [half], how close we were from a comeback after the 3-1, but the result is final. We have three games left in ten days, and we have to focus on winning the three. We still have a chance to make Playoffs. We have to work hard and think about that. I just want to say that. We will work hard to be able to win those games and have the possibility of making Playoffs. Thank you for understanding the moment and I hope you have a good night."
LA GALAXY DEFENDER DANIEL STERES
On tonight being a must win and mindset moving forward:
"That was the mindset, to take one game at a time. We've pretty much got to win all of these. So we came in with a good attitude and a good mindset. We just kind of threw it away early, it wasn't good."
On coming out strong to start second half:
"We came in [at halftime] and we were all pretty upset. We gave up very easy goals in the first half. We knew how important this game was, and to give up those goals and be down 3-0 at halftime, we were pretty upset. So [Guillermo] came in firing us up and we had the attitude that we've got to go out and show some pride. And I think we did that. Who knows what the game could have been if we didn't give up that fourth goal and that killed our momentum. Until then, I think we showed we had something in us, even though we gave up those goals, and we were going to fight until the end and see what we were going to get out of it. Once again, we're bleeding way too much."
On if there's a chance to right the ship to make a run for playoffs:
"It's not in our hands anymore. We've got teams ahead of us that we can play and try to make our way up there, but that's all we can do at this point, and we've got to turn around and do it."
LA GALAXY MIDFIELDER PERRY KITCHEN
On the game and whether he is disappointed with how the team started out:
"Absolutely, extremely disappointed. It's not an acceptable start. They are a team that is extremely clinical. I think, of their first three shots they scored all three. Not an acceptable start. It's just not good enough from us."
On whether it was mental:
"I don't think it was a mental thing. We just weren't in tune. We weren't getting out to the ball enough. I think on their first two goals they may have connected 15 to 20 passes. It was just too passive from us, and they took advantage of us."
On whether there's still hope to make the Playoffs:
"Yeah we have to. We have to find hope. We have to show pride. This club deserves a lot better than what we are giving them right now. There's still a chance. It might be slim but we have to go out, put our best foot forward and be a lot better than what we were tonight."
On how the team must come back from these results:
"Well we have to rebound. We have another game in three or four days so there's no time to dwell. We have three games, we've won four in a row before, now it's three. If we can do that, we put ourselves in a spot where maybe we can sneak in. So there shouldn't be any sort of mental gap, we have done it before. We need to do it again. We have the pieces to do it, we just have to put it together."
LA Galaxy 2, Portland Timbers 5
Wednesday, Oct. 28, 2020 - 7 p.m. PT
MLS Regular Season
Providence Park - Portland
POR - Jaroslaw Niezgoda (Assisted by Jorge Villafana) 6'
POR - Jaroslaw Niezgoda (Assisted by Pablo Bonilla) 19'
POR - Diego Valeri (penalty) 30'
LA - Cristian Pavon (Assisted by Yony Gonzalez, Sebastian Lletget) 46'
POR - Eryk Williamson (Assisted by Jaroslaw Niezgoda) 60'
POR - Andy Polo (Assisted by Yimmi Chara) 74'
LA - Cristian Pavon 90'+1
LA Galaxy: Jonathan Klinsmann; Rolf Feltscher, Daniel Steres, Nick DePuy, Emiliano Insua (Diedie Traore 74'); Julian Araujo (Sebastian Lletget HT), Perry Kitchen, Carlos Harvey (Sacha Kljestan HT), Cristian Pavon; Jonathan dos Santos ©; Yony Gonzalez.
Substitutions not used: David Bingham, Joe Corona, Efrain Alvarez, Kai Koreniuk, Ethan Zubak.
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 10; OFFSIDE: 1; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 2.
Head Coach: Guillermo Barros Schelotto
Portland Timbers: Steve Clark; Pablo Bonilla (Marco Farfan 63'), Larrys Mabiala, Dario Zuparic, Jorge Villafana; Eryk Williamson (Tomas Conechny 84'), Diego Chara, Andres Flores (Andy Polo 63'), Diego Valeri, Yimmi Chara (Jose Zambrano 84'); Jaroslaw Niezgoda (Felipe Mora 72').
Substitutions not used: Aljaz Ivacic, Bill Tuiloma, Chris Duvall, Cristhian Paredes, Tomas Conechny.
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 7; FOULS: 8; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 4.
Head Coach: Giovanni Savarese
Referee: Drew Fischer
Assistant Referee: Kathryn Nesbitt
Assistant Referee: Mike Rottersman
Fourth Official: Marcos de Oliveira
Video Assistant Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 29, 2020
- Sounders FC 2019 MLS Cup-Winning Team Receives Championship Rings - Seattle Sounders FC
- Providence Park Expansion Project Recognized by AIA Oregon Architecture Awards - Portland Timbers
- Early Voting Starts Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium at 10 a.m. - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Relieve Guillermo Barros Schelotto of Duties as Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Clinches 2020 MLS Playoff Berth with New Playoff Qualification - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Qualification Update - MLS
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- By the Numbers: Three Regular Season Challenges Remain - Orlando City SC
- 2021 Nashville SC Season Tickets on Sale with Priority Seating for Stadium in 2022 - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Forward Brandon Vazquez to a Multi-Year Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: October 29, 2020 - New England Revolution
- Chris Wondolowski scores twice; Quakes jump to seventh place - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1 on Wednesday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 2, Portland Timbers 5 - Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 5-2 Win against La Galaxy - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 in San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Roster Decisions
- Three LA Galaxy Players Named to USMNT Roster for December Friendly
- 2021 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships Now Available
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3