San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week
October 29, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 21st week of the 2020 MLS season. This is the ninth MLS Player of the Week honor in Wondolowski's career, tied for the fifth-most in league history.
Wondolowski registered a brace to help San Jose to a 2-0 victory over Real Salt Lake at Earthquakes Stadium on Wednesday. The all-time MLS goals leader now has 165 regular season goals in his career, including six scores this season. San Jose is in seventh place in the Western Conference standings with 27 points (7-8-6 overall record).
San Jose took a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute when Cristian Espinoza missed a shot off the left post, only for Wondolowski to collect the deflection in the box and finish with an open right footed shot.
The Earthquakes advantage grew to 2-0 in the 74th minute when Shea Salinas sent a pass to the left side of the box, where a wide open Wondolowski finished with a left footed shot into the back of the net.
San Jose continues action this week when hosting the Los Angeles Football Club on Sunday (10:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 29, 2020
- Sounders FC 2019 MLS Cup-Winning Team Receives Championship Rings - Seattle Sounders FC
- Providence Park Expansion Project Recognized by AIA Oregon Architecture Awards - Portland Timbers
- Early Voting Starts Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium at 10 a.m. - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Relieve Guillermo Barros Schelotto of Duties as Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Clinches 2020 MLS Playoff Berth with New Playoff Qualification - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Qualification Update - MLS
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- By the Numbers: Three Regular Season Challenges Remain - Orlando City SC
- 2021 Nashville SC Season Tickets on Sale with Priority Seating for Stadium in 2022 - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Forward Brandon Vazquez to a Multi-Year Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- New England Revolution Youth Development Update: October 29, 2020 - New England Revolution
- Chris Wondolowski scores twice; Quakes jump to seventh place - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1 on Wednesday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 2, Portland Timbers 5 - Wednesday, October 28, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 5-2 Win against La Galaxy - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 in San Jose - Real Salt Lake
- 10-Man Dynamo Fall 2-1 at Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.