'Koop' Delivers But Goats Fall to Ducks in Heartbreaker
AKRON- Hartford pitcher Jack Wynkoop matched his major league opponent Mike Clevinger pitch-for-pitch, but in the end it was Akron which emerged with a 2-0 win, before 5,138 at Canal Park on Tuesday night. Clevinger, on a rehabilitation start for the Cleveland Indians, pitched 5 1/3 innings of three-hit baseball with no walks and five strike outs for their Double-A affiliate. Meanwhile, Wynkoop carried a shutout into the seventh inning, before yielding a lead off home run to Ka'ai Tom to right-center. The Hartford southpaw then retired the next three hitters. He pitched seven innings, allowing one run on three hits with no walks and three strike outs.
Akron (32-31) added an unearned run in the eighth inning on two walks and a throwing error by reliever Heath Holder on a sacrifice bunt.
Jake Paulson, who relieved Clevinger, picked up the win with 3 2/3 innings of work. He permitted three hits, walked one and struck out one.
Mylz Jones had three of the Yard Goats' six hits with a double and two singles.
The loss tightened the Eastern Division race, as Hartford fell to 36-26 with six games remaining in the first half playoffs.
Game two of the three-game series is Wednesday night at 7:05. RHP Brandon Gold will pitch for Hartford, while LHP Sam Hentges will pitch for Akron. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410 AM, on 100.9 FM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com. Hartford returns to Dunkin' Donuts Park on Tuesday, June 18 at 7:05 PM against Bowie.
Hartford 0-6-1Akron 2-3-1
WP- Jake Paulson (5-3)
LP- Jack Wynkoop (5-6)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 11, 2019
- Paez Walks-Off Ponies to Win over Thunder - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Kremer Rolls in 6-0 Baysox Shutout - Bowie Baysox
- Curve Edge Sea Dogs with Two-Run Seventh - Altoona Curve
- Paez's Single Completes Wild Win for Rumble Ponies over Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Altoona Rallies for Two in the Seventh, Beats Portland 5-4 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sagdal Drives in Three, Sens Win 6-2 - Harrisburg Senators
- 'Koop' Delivers But Goats Fall to Ducks in Heartbreaker - Hartford Yard Goats
- Clevinger Shuts down Goats - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup at Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #58 Rumble Ponies (32-25) vs. Trenton Thunder (34-24) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 11th at Altoona Curve - Portland Sea Dogs
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (June 11-16) - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve, Thunder Set Make-Up Dates for Rain Outs in Trenton - Altoona Curve
- Thunder and Curve Set Make-Up Dates for July - Trenton Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.