Komets Open Season at Indy Friday
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets open the 2018-19 ECHL campaign Friday night at 7:35 at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum in Indianapolis against the intrastate rival Fuel. It will be the first of 11 meetings this season and the first of six trips to Indy. Last year the Komets were 6-3-0 in nine meetings against Indy.
The Komets have won their last four straight season openers including last year's 4-2 victory over the visiting Toledo Walleye. Prior to last year, the Komets won three straight season openers on the road. It's the 11th season opener against an Indianapolis team with the Komets holding the edge at 6-2-2. The last time the Komets and Indy met in a season opener was on Oct. 17, 2014 for the Fuel's first game as a new entry in the ECHL at the new State Fairgrounds Coliseum.
The Komets will open their seventh season as a member of the ECHL and will skate in the Central Division of the Western Conference with Indy, Cincinnati, Kalamazoo, Toledo and Wheeling. A total of 27 teams make up the ECHL as the league celebrates its 31st year of operation.
The weekend of divisional matchups concludes with a Fort Wayne visit to Cincinnati Saturday for a 7:35pm faceoff. It will be the season and home opener for the Cyclones. The Komets will face Cincy on 11 occasions this year, six at Cincinnati. Last season the Komets were 4-3-2 against the Cyclones during the regular season. In the playoffs, the Komets elimination Cincinnati 4-1 in the first round of the Central division semifinals.
Season-opening roster announced-- The Fort Wayne season-opening roster of 22 players includes 12 forwards, seven defensemen and three goaltenders. Forwards include Taylor Crunk, Thomas Ebbing, Garrett Ladd, Brandon Morley, Marco Roy, Jamie Schaafsma, Garret Ross, Anthony Petruzzelli, Aidan Muir, Justin Hodgman, Kevin Miller and Joseph Widmar. Defensemen include Jeff King, Jason Binkley, Alex Kuqali, Kevin Gibson, Chase Stewart, Cody Sol and Ryan Lowney. Goaltenders include Zach Fucale, Lukas Hafner and Kyle Hayton. Hayton and Widmar will start the season on 14-day injured reserve.
Home Opener Oct. 20-- The Komets will host their 67th home opener Saturday, Oct. 20 at 7:30pm against the arch rival Kalamazoo Wings. Single game tickets for all 36 Komet regular season home games are on sale at the Coliseum Ticket Office. Season Tickets also remain on sale at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way. For more information visit Komets.com or call 260-483-0011.
Komet Hockey on WOWO-- Fans can follow Komet hockey action again this year on WOWO Radio AM 1190 and FM 107.5, and recycled on the web by OmniSource at Komets.com, with Shane Albahrani calling the play-by-play.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2018
- Season-Opening Roster Announced; Lemcke Dealt to Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Glads to Hold Player Meet and Greet at Uncle Jack's Meat House - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Lemcke from Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - October 11 - ECHL
- Dance off Between Students and Sheriff County Deputies this Afternoon - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Announce Season-Opening Roster for 2018-19 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Goaltender Joe Cannata Assigned to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners Acquire Stork to Complete Opening Night Roster - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Release Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Cool Insuring Arena Announces Upstate Chevy Dealers Box Office - Adirondack Thunder
- Everblades Announce 2018-19 Season-Opening Roster - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Unveil Season-Opening Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Indy Fuel
- Komets Open Season at Indy Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Luukko Named Captain, Royals Announce Season-Opening Roster - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Season-Opening Rosters - ECHL
- Solar Bears Announce Season-Opening Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Monarchs Announce 2018-19 Season-Opening Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Rocco Carzo Named Team Captain - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Thunder Announces Season-Opening Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- K-Wings Release Opening Night Roster - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Announce Season Opening Roster - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Announce 2018-2019 Regular Season Roster - Allen Americans
- 2018-19 Allen Americans Season Preview - Allen Americans
- IceMen Announce Season-Opening Roster - Jacksonville IceMen
- Steelheads Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Railers HC Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Joey Leach Named Stingrays Team Captain - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Reveal Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Announce Opening Day Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Ground Wings in Season Opener 5-2; Wheeling Visits Friday, Walleye Invade Saturday
- Komets Launch 68th Season Saturday; Arich Rival Wings Visit for Opener
- Komets Make Roster Moves
- Komets Open 2019 Training Camp
- Komets Ink Two-Time Kelly Cup Champ St. Amant