Luukko Named Captain, Royals Announce Season-Opening Roster
Reading, PA - Reading Royals Head Coach Kirk MacDonald announced Thursday the team's 2018-19 season-opening roster and that defenseman Nick Luukko has been named Royals Captain. The Royals are set to open the regular season with back-to-back home games vs. Worcester Oct. 13-14, featuring an opening-night block party and cowbell giveaway to the first 6,500 fans, presented by Met-Ed.
"I'm extremely excited and honored to wear the 'C' in Reading," Luukko said. "We have a great group this season and for our team to be successful, everyone needs to be a leader in their own way."
Luukko has played three full seasons and skated in 202 Royals games. The West Chester, PA native is one of four to skate in at least 200 games with Reading. Only Yannick Tifu (245), Ryan Cruthers (278) and Olivier Labelle (294) have played in more games for the Royals. Luukko was returned on loan from Lehigh Valley Oct. 6.
Season-Opening Roster (24 players)
Forwards: Chris McCarthy, Brayden Low, Steven Swavely, Adam Schmidt, Michael Huntebrinker, Tyler Brown, Alex Krushelnyski, Frank DiChiara, Bo Pieper, Brian Morgan, Jack Riley, Shane Walsh, Josh MacDonald
Defensemen: Ilya Nekolenko, Steve Johnson, Dan Milan, Adam Larkin, Charlie Vasaturo, Antony Cortese, Nick Luukko, Frank Hora, Scott Dornbrock
Goaltenders: Branden Komm, Angus Redmond
13 players on the season-opening roster skated for Reading in 2017-18.
Chris McCarthy is the team's leading returning goals (22g) and points (59 pts.).
Reading has five rookies; two played for the Royals at the end of last regular season (Jack Riley, Adam Larkin).
Tyler Brown has played in 415 professional regular season games, the most of any Royals player on the active roster.
Opening Weekend, presented by Met-Ed
Season Opener: Sat., Oct. 13, 7:00 p.m.
Block party 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. | Food and drinks available | Performance by the Uptown Band | Attempt at setting the World Record for most cowbells played at a time | Cowbell giveaway (first 6,500 fans) | Red carpet introduction for the players
Philadelphia Eagles Legends Night (Vince Papale and Bill Bergey): Oct. 14, 5:00 p.m.
Pregame tailgate 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. | Appearance by Eagles legends Vince Papale and Bill Bergey | National cornhole tournament
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2018
- Season-Opening Roster Announced; Lemcke Dealt to Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Glads to Hold Player Meet and Greet at Uncle Jack's Meat House - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Lemcke from Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - October 11 - ECHL
- Dance off Between Students and Sheriff County Deputies this Afternoon - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Announce Season-Opening Roster for 2018-19 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Goaltender Joe Cannata Assigned to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners Acquire Stork to Complete Opening Night Roster - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Release Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Cool Insuring Arena Announces Upstate Chevy Dealers Box Office - Adirondack Thunder
- Everblades Announce 2018-19 Season-Opening Roster - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Unveil Season-Opening Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Indy Fuel
- Komets Open Season at Indy Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Luukko Named Captain, Royals Announce Season-Opening Roster - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Season-Opening Rosters - ECHL
- Solar Bears Announce Season-Opening Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Monarchs Announce 2018-19 Season-Opening Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Rocco Carzo Named Team Captain - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Thunder Announces Season-Opening Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- K-Wings Release Opening Night Roster - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Announce Season Opening Roster - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Announce 2018-2019 Regular Season Roster - Allen Americans
- 2018-19 Allen Americans Season Preview - Allen Americans
- IceMen Announce Season-Opening Roster - Jacksonville IceMen
- Steelheads Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Railers HC Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Joey Leach Named Stingrays Team Captain - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Reveal Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Announce Opening Day Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Bolster Ticket Sales Team with Addition of Dakota Procyk
- The Anthony Myers Movement Highlights Start of 5-Game Homestand
- Adirondack Goes Ahead in Final Three Minutes and Defeats Royals, 6-3
- Game Day at Adirondack: Catch Today's Game on BCTV at 2:45 p.m.
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1