Dance off Between Students and Sheriff County Deputies this Afternoon
Wichita, KS - Sheriff's County Deputies will be on hand from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. to pass out tickets for Saturday's weekend opener tonight outside the Thunder Front Office, at the Wichita Ice Center at 505 West Maple. Staff from the Sheriff's Office will conduct a dance-off with students and Sonic's Thunderdog.
The donated tickets were made available as part of the #ThunderBlue campaign to raise money for fallen Sheriff's Deputy Robert Kunze III. A large number of out-of-town donors made their tickets available for local students, parents, and teachers to go to the game.
While tickets last, all students from Wichita-area school districts, as well as their parents and teachers, may pick up their complimentary seats from the Thunder Front Office, through 2:00 p.m. Saturday. Thousands of tickets are expected to be given away over the coming days.
Wichita Thunder owners Rodney Steven II, Brandon Steven and Johnny Steven announced today that their rooftop fundraising effort to raise money for the family of fallen Sedgwick County Sheriff's Deputy Robert Kunze III has exceeded the initial goal of $50,000, with the current total over $60,000 and climbing daily.
Brandon Steven took an optimistic stance.
"The great thing is that we're not finished. We still have some upper bowl tickets available. We could still raise thousands of additional dollars between now and Saturday."
"If you'd like to support Deputy Kunze's family, please go to our website, buy a $10 discounted ticket and come enjoy the game. Or if you're a student, parent, or teacher, come pick up some complimentary tickets and get ready to dance off tonight!" Click here to do directly to the page.
Eldest brother Rodney Steven II, owner of Genesis Health Clubs, stressed the importance of positive role models for impressionable kids.
"Every kid needs a hero. Usually for us, they are looking up to the players on the ice. We want to show the kids of Wichita some real-life heroes by honoring the legacy of Deputy Kunze and all the men and women who keep us safe every day. That's why we're inviting every student, plus their families and teachers out to see the game on Saturday with the generously donated tickets. We'll all wear #ThunderBlue to show our support for law enforcement and honor the memory of Deputy Kunze."
Deputy Robert Kunze was killed in the line of duty on Sunday, September 16th. In his last moments, he heroically managed to save the lives of at least two other innocent bystanders. Deputy Kunze is survived by his wife and child.
During the first intermission of Saturday's game against the Allen Americans, Sheriff Jeff Easter and Deputies from the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office will accept a check on behalf of the Kunze family and the final amount of the donation will be announced.
Sheriff Jeff Easter issued a statement:
"Thank you to the community for their overwhelming support given to the Kunze family and the Sedgwick County Sheriff's Office. I would like to personally thank the Wichita Thunder and Rodney, Brandon and Johnny for their dedication to raising money for the Kunze family. Your kindness during this tragic time is appreciated by the SCSO and the community."
To purchase tickets for $10 each to support Deputy Kunze's family, click here or call (316) 264-4625.
* Sheriff's Deputies Will Host a Dance-Off and Help Pass Out Complimentary Tickets to Students and Teachers
o Thursday, 10/11 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. @ Thunder Front Office, 505 W. Maple
* #ThunderBlue | Arena filled with spectators dressed in blue in support of Deputy Kunze & Local Law Enforcement
o Saturday, 10/13 7:05 p.m. @ Intrust Bank Arena
* Law Enforcement Section | Special Complimentary Section at Game Reserved for Law Enforcement Professionals in Uniform
o Saturday, 10/13 7:05 p.m. @ Intrust Bank Arena
* Check Dedication Ceremony to Sheriff Jeff Easter and Sheriff's Deputies on Behalf of Kunze Family & Announcement of Final Donation Amount
o Saturday, 10/13 Intermission (approximately 8:00 p.m.) @ Intrust Bank Arena
Season tickets for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 down per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 11, 2018
- Season-Opening Roster Announced; Lemcke Dealt to Cincy - Wichita Thunder
- Glads to Hold Player Meet and Greet at Uncle Jack's Meat House - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Acquire Lemcke from Wichita - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - October 11 - ECHL
- Dance off Between Students and Sheriff County Deputies this Afternoon - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Announce Season-Opening Roster for 2018-19 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Goaltender Joe Cannata Assigned to Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Mariners Acquire Stork to Complete Opening Night Roster - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Release Opening Day Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Cool Insuring Arena Announces Upstate Chevy Dealers Box Office - Adirondack Thunder
- Everblades Announce 2018-19 Season-Opening Roster - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Unveil Season-Opening Roster - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Indy Fuel
- Komets Open Season at Indy Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Luukko Named Captain, Royals Announce Season-Opening Roster - Reading Royals
- ECHL Announces Season-Opening Rosters - ECHL
- Solar Bears Announce Season-Opening Roster - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Announce Opening Night Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Monarchs Announce 2018-19 Season-Opening Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Rocco Carzo Named Team Captain - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adirondack Thunder Announces Season-Opening Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- K-Wings Release Opening Night Roster - Kalamazoo Wings
- Swamp Rabbits Announce Season Opening Roster - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Americans Announce 2018-2019 Regular Season Roster - Allen Americans
- 2018-19 Allen Americans Season Preview - Allen Americans
- IceMen Announce Season-Opening Roster - Jacksonville IceMen
- Steelheads Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Railers HC Announce 2018-19 Opening Night Roster - Worcester Railers HC
- Joey Leach Named Stingrays Team Captain - South Carolina Stingrays
- Oilers Reveal Season-Opening Roster - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Announce Opening Day Roster - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.