Keystone Sports and Entertainment Signs Five-Year Extension for Talen Energy Stadium to Host Army-Navy Cup
CHESTER, Pa. - Keystone Sports and Entertainment announced today that Army-Navy Cup will return to the venue via a contract extension for five additional seasons. This year's matchup, a rivalry renewed between the two service academies, is set for Friday, Oct. 12. Kickoff time and broadcast information are to be determined.
"Keystone Sports and Entertainment is honored to host this annual match and we are proud that it will return for a minimum of five additional years here at Talen Energy Stadium," said Tim McDermott, Chief Business Officer, Philadelphia Union. "We are excited for the 2018 edition of this classic rivalry and look forward to providing first-class hospitality for both military academies, featuring the future leaders of our country."
Army-Navy Cup has seen significant growth over its six years at Talen Energy Stadium with attendance surpassing 10,000 fans. Following the founding of an Army-Navy Cup host committee, the game has expanded to attract nearly 40,000 fans over the past four editions combined. Last year's Army-Navy Cup was the third-highest attended college soccer match in the United States.
"We are excited that we have been able to continue this wonderful relationship with Philadelphia and the Union," said Naval Academy Director of Athletics Chet Gladchuk. "Our coaches and players really enjoy the stadium, and to play our greatest rival in a spectacular and electric setting is fantastic. There have been great crowds, energy, atmosphere, and super soccer!"
"The Army-Navy Cup has served as one of our signature fall events for the six past years and has established itself as one of the highest attended games in college soccer," added Boo Corrigan, Director of Athletics for Army West Point. "The atmosphere at Talen Energy Stadium adds to the pride and passion of the Army-Navy rivalry and we are thrilled to return to the Philadelphia area for the next five years. Thank you to the Philadelphia Union, members of the Army-Navy steering committee, as well as PHL Sports, for continuing to show support of our two service academies and the growth of the rivalry."
Talen Energy Stadium played host to the inaugural Army-Navy Cup in 2012 with the series currently deadlocked, each side holding a 2-2-2 record over the span. The debut edition in 2012 ended in a draw. Navy won in both 2013 and 2014, while Army was victorious in 2015 and 2016 before a second draw in last season's match.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 14, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 14, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Opens The Ninety for Fans to Enjoy 2018 FIFA World Cup Matches - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando Pride returns home to take on Sky Blue FC at 7:30 p.m. - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls and Southern New Hampshire University Announce New Makerspace Lab at Camden Elementary School in Newark, NJ - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Sheanon Williams - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas Kicks off Summer of Soccer Watch Parties - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Team up with Bar Partners for FIFA World Cup Watch Parties - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Vitesse and Georgia National Team Captain Guram Kashia - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Invite Fans to Arrive Early, Stay Late for Summer Celebration against FC Dallas - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Play San Jose Earthquakes to 2-2 Draw - New England Revolution
- Keystone Sports and Entertainment Signs Five-Year Extension for Talen Energy Stadium to Host Army-Navy Cup - Philadelphia Union
- 19 Major League Soccer Players Step Onto Global Stage as 2018 FIFA World Cup Kicks off Today - MLS
- Chicago Fire Earn Point in 2-2 Road Draw with Colorado Rapids - Chicago Fire
- Hoesen's Brace Helps Quakes Earn Point against New England Revolution - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Drops 2-1 Road Result to New York Red Bulls - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Shuts out Orlando City SC 3-0 - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Defeats Columbus Crew SC 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Midfielder Adam Najem Earns International Call-Up from Afghanistan National Team
- Game Notes: Philadelphia Union 3, New England Revolution 2
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union Name Ernst Tanner as Club's New Sporting Director
- Notes: Philadelphia Union 3, Chicago Fire 0