Chicago Fire Earn Point in 2-2 Road Draw with Colorado Rapids
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - The Chicago Fire (5-7-4, 19 points) earned a point in a 2-2 draw with the Colorado Rapids (2-9-3, 9 points) on Wednesday evening at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colo.
The Rapids got on the board first with goals from Dominique Badji in the seventh minute and Tommy Smith in the 15th for the 2-0 lead.
In the 21st minute Aleksandar Katai forced an own goal when he drove a cross towards goal that was knocked into the net by Rapids defender Danny Wilson.
The Men in Red equalized three minutes later when Brandt Bronico served in a long cross and found Katai open just outside the 18 yard box. The Serbian chested the ball down and sent his curling, left-footed shot past an outstretched Tim Howard, drawing the Fire level 2-2.
Next up the Fire continue its 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup campaign when they take on Atlanta United in the Round of 16 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Ga. on June 20 at 6:30 p.m. CT.
Veljko Paunovic - Head Coach, Chicago Fire
On the result:
"It's disappointing. It's disappointing for many reasons. This is not the image that we want and we have to make changes. We have to make changes technically, with our attitude, and with our behavior on the road, especially early in the game. It doesn't work just saying we need to get better, but we have to because it's not good enough. Starting poorly and allowing two goals early is just too much."
Brandt Bronico - Midfielder, Chicago Fire
On the road point:
"I think a positive that we can take away from this game is that we started to get that possession soccer back at times and I think that coming back from two goals shows a lot of strength from the team to not give up."
On the assist for Aleksandar Katai's goal:
"Usually, if I see Katai running, I just give him the ball. The guy scores goals for fun. He did all the hard work. I just put the ball up there and he chested it down and scored a beautiful goal, so the credit goes to him."
Aleksandar Katai - Midfielder, Chicago Fire
On his goal:
"It's a very nice goal but it's not enough because we are going home with only the one point. It would have been nicer if we had gotten the three points."
Chicago Fire 2:2 Colorado Rapids
June 13, 2018 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park
COL - Dominique Badji (Tommy Smith) 7'
COL - Tommy Smith (Jack Price, Sam Nicholson) 15'
CHI - Danny Wilson (own goal) 21'
CHI - Aleksandar Katai (Brandt Bronico) 24'
CHI - Bastian Schweinsteiger (caution) 29'
CHI - Johan Kappelhof (caution) 45+1'
COL - Johan Blomberg (caution) 56'
CHI - Johan Kappelhof (ejection) 84'
COL - Danny Wilson (caution) 89'
CHI - Diego Campos (caution) 90+2'
Chicago Fire: Richard Sánchez; Brandon Vincent, Johan Kappelhof, Kevin Ellis (Alan Gordon 82'), Jorge Corrales; Aleksandar Katai, Luis Solignac (Diego Campos 62'), Brandt Bronico (Elliot Collier 75'), Bastian Schweinsteiger, Dax McCarty ©; Nemanja NikoliÄ
Subs not used: Stefan Cleveland, Mo Adams, Jonathan Campbell, Daniel Johnson
Shots: 13; Shots On-Goal: 4; Fouls: 11; Saves: 4; Offsides: 0; Corners: 6.
Colorado Rapids: Tim Howard, Edgar Castillo, Deklan Wynne, Danny Wilson, Tommy Smith, Marlon Hairston (Enzo Martinez 83'), Johan Blomberg (Shkelzen Gashi 88'), Jack Price, Sam Nicholson, Dominique Badji, Jack McBean (Joe Mason 80')
Subs not used: Zac MacMath, Bismark Boateng, Micheal Azira, Dillon Serna
Shots: 13; Shots On-Goal: 6; Fouls: 20; Saves: 3; Offsides: 0; Corners: 5.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 14, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 14, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Opens The Ninety for Fans to Enjoy 2018 FIFA World Cup Matches - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando Pride returns home to take on Sky Blue FC at 7:30 p.m. - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls and Southern New Hampshire University Announce New Makerspace Lab at Camden Elementary School in Newark, NJ - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Sheanon Williams - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas Kicks off Summer of Soccer Watch Parties - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Team up with Bar Partners for FIFA World Cup Watch Parties - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Vitesse and Georgia National Team Captain Guram Kashia - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Invite Fans to Arrive Early, Stay Late for Summer Celebration against FC Dallas - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Play San Jose Earthquakes to 2-2 Draw - New England Revolution
- Keystone Sports and Entertainment Signs Five-Year Extension for Talen Energy Stadium to Host Army-Navy Cup - Philadelphia Union
- 19 Major League Soccer Players Step Onto Global Stage as 2018 FIFA World Cup Kicks off Today - MLS
- Chicago Fire Earn Point in 2-2 Road Draw with Colorado Rapids - Chicago Fire
- Hoesen's Brace Helps Quakes Earn Point against New England Revolution - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Drops 2-1 Road Result to New York Red Bulls - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Shuts out Orlando City SC 3-0 - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Defeats Columbus Crew SC 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Travel to Face Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Fall 1-0 to New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Loan Nicolas Del Grecco to USL Affiliate Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Chicago Fire Loan Diego Campos and Elliot Collier to Indy Eleven
- Chicago Fire Waive Defender Kevin Ellis and Midfielder Tony Tchani