Atlanta United Defeats Columbus Crew SC 2-0
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Atlanta United defeated Columbus Crew SC 2-0 on Wednesday night at MAPFRE Stadium to extend its road unbeaten streak to seven consecutive matches. Josef Martinez scored his league-leading 14th goal of the season while Tito Villalba scored in his first appearance since May 20. Goalkeeper Brad Guzan made three saves for his fourth shutout of the season and Atlanta extended its lead on the Supporters Shield race to four points.
Off to a flying start again, Atlanta scored the first goal of the match for the 13th time in 16 MLS matches this season. Martinez headed home a 30th minute goal off of a corner kick that resulted in Ezequiel Barco's first assist in club history. Barco floated one toward the far post that Martinez was able to sneak around the defense and powerfully head toward the right corner, beating a diving Zack Steffen. The goal snapped Steffen's shutout streak at 525 minutes.
Martinez was injured on the play, colliding with Artur after he made contact with the ball. He finished the half but was substituted off for Romario Williams at halftime.
Led by a strong performance from midfielder Jeff Larentowicz, Atlanta's defense held strong in the second half as it played with a four-man backline for just the third time this season. Atlanta then put the game away in the 82nd minute from second-half substitute Villalba. Miguel Almiron started a counterattack by picking up a ball near midfield and had acres of space in front of him. After dribbling nearly inside of the penalty area, Almiron crossed for a wide-open Villalba, who took one touch before blasting a shot past Steffen.
Atlanta United (10-3-3, 33 points) returns to action at home against Chicago Fire on Wednesday, June 20 for a Round of 16 matchup in the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (7:30 p.m., ATLUTD.com/live). It returns to MLS action at Mercedes-Benz Stadium against Portland Timbers on Sunday, June 24 (4:30 p.m., FOX).
Atlanta United 2, Columbus Crew SC 0
Shots: 13-6 Columbus
Shots on Target: 3-3 Columbus
Corner kicks: 5-3 Columbus
Fouls committed: 10-10
Saves: 3-1 Atlanta
Clearances: 15-12 Atlanta
Offside: 2-0 Columbus
Possession: 54-46 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 83-81 Atlanta
ATL - Josef Martinez (Ezequiel Barco) 30' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Tito Villalba (Miguel AlmirÃ"n) 82' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Michael Parkhurst (yellow) 8'
ATL - Mikey Ambrose (yellow) 27'
ATL - Franco Escobar (yellow) 72'
CLB - Wil Trapp (yellow) 81'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Mikey Ambrose, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Michael Parkhurst ©, Franco Escobar; Jeff Larentowicz, Darlington Nagbe, Julian Gressel; Ezequiel Barco (Tito Villalba - 76'), Josef Martinez (Romario Williams - HT), Miguel Almiron (Miles Robinson - 86').
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Sal Zizzo, Kevin Kratz, Brandon Vazquez.
COLUMBUS CREW SC STARTING LINEUP
Zack Steffen; Milton Valenzuela, Lalas Abubakar, Jonathan Mensah, Harrison Afful; Wil Trapp © (Adam Jahn - 83'), Artur; Cristian Martinez (Luis Argudo - 64'), Federico Higuain, Pedro Santos (Eduardo Sosa - 64'); Gyasi Zardes.
Substitutes not used: Jon Kempin, Mohammed Abu, Hector Jimenez, Gaston Sauro.
Ted Unkel (referee), Kyle Atkins (assistant), TJ Zablocki (assistant), Hilario Grajeda (fourth), Baldomero Toledo (VAR).
Atlanta hasn't allowed a goal at MAPFRE Stadium in two appearances. They've now won both matches by a score of 2-0 beating Crew SC by the same score on July 1, 2017.
Atlanta also became the first team to shutout Columbus at MAPFRE Stadium since the last time it was here last season.
Martinez scored a goal for the fourth consecutive match. It's the second time in his career he's scored in four consecutive matches.
It's tied for the league's longest streak this season with five other players.
It was the 14th goal of the season for Martinez, which leads the league. It extends his lead to four over Columbus' Gyasi Zardes.
Atlanta improved to 8-0-1 when leading at halftime.
Atlanta improved to 9-1-3 scoring first.
Jeff Larentowicz started his 354th career MLS game. He's in fifth place in MLS history by a field player.
Larentowicz also appeared in his 373rd career game. He's also in fifth place in MLS history by a field player.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 14, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 14, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Opens The Ninety for Fans to Enjoy 2018 FIFA World Cup Matches - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando Pride returns home to take on Sky Blue FC at 7:30 p.m. - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls and Southern New Hampshire University Announce New Makerspace Lab at Camden Elementary School in Newark, NJ - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Sheanon Williams - Los Angeles Galaxy
- FC Dallas Kicks off Summer of Soccer Watch Parties - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Team up with Bar Partners for FIFA World Cup Watch Parties - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Vitesse and Georgia National Team Captain Guram Kashia - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Invite Fans to Arrive Early, Stay Late for Summer Celebration against FC Dallas - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Play San Jose Earthquakes to 2-2 Draw - New England Revolution
- Keystone Sports and Entertainment Signs Five-Year Extension for Talen Energy Stadium to Host Army-Navy Cup - Philadelphia Union
- 19 Major League Soccer Players Step Onto Global Stage as 2018 FIFA World Cup Kicks off Today - MLS
- Chicago Fire Earn Point in 2-2 Road Draw with Colorado Rapids - Chicago Fire
- Hoesen's Brace Helps Quakes Earn Point against New England Revolution - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC Drops 2-1 Road Result to New York Red Bulls - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Shuts out Orlando City SC 3-0 - Montreal Impact
- Atlanta United Defeats Columbus Crew SC 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Real Salt Lake
- Martinez Caps Second-Half Comeback, Atlanta Defeats San Jose 4-3
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. San Jose Earthquakes
- Almiron brace leads Atlanta United over Colorado Rapids 3-0
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Colorado Rapids