Keys Snap Losing Streak
WILMINGTON, DE. - After a big eighth inning, the Frederick Keys (30-42, 1-2) were able to hang on in the ninth 5-3 after the Wilmington Blue Rocks (46-26, 2-1) stranded the bases loaded on Saturday night at Frawley Stadium. Tim Naughton came on in relief in the ninth and with two on and two-outs, gave up an RBI double to Sebastian Rivero making it 5-3. Naughton then walked Rudy Martin to load the bases. That led way to Luis Perez (S,3), who finished off the ninth to seal the Keys first win since June 11. The victory ends the Keys eight-game losing streak and their 15-game road skid.
Trailing 2-0 in the eighth inning, the Keys offense exploded for five runs. Zach Jarrett and J.C. Escarra hit back-to-back RBI singles to tie the game at 2-2. Trevor Craport then smashed a pitch back up the middle. The ball rolled past Michael Gigliotti in center field, allowing both runners to score and giving the Keys a 4-2 lead. Yeltsin Gudino then hit an infield single that scored Craport from third to make it 5-2.
Cameron Bishop and Daniel Tillo traded scoreless innings through six innings before Wilmington jumped on the board in the seventh. After a lead-off walk, Dennichur Carrasco roped a double into left-field that scored the runner. Kyle Kasser made it 2-0 after tallying an RBI single.
Bishop had an outstanding start, going a season-high 6.2 innings after allowing the two runs on four hits while walking three and striking out five.
Daniel Tillo pitched well for Wilmington, tossing 7.1 innings and allowing two runs on seven hits. Luis Lugo (1-2) picked up the loss after he gave up four RBI base hits.
The Keys finish their four-game series against the Blue Rocks on Sunday, June 22 before heading the Lynchburg for a three-game set. RHP Blaine Knight (0-3, 4.65) will start for Frederick opposite LHP Daniel Tillo (4-6, 5.23). First pitch is scheduled for 1:35pm. Fans can listen to the game at frederickkeys.com or on the TuneIn app with pregame coverage starting at 12:20pm.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. Following the 2018 season, the Keys were named the winner of the Carolina League's Complete Franchise Award. This goes to a team in the league which demonstrates franchise stability and significant contributions to its community and the league. In 2019, the team will host the Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Woodpeckers Break Through Late to Win Third Straight - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Mudcats Win Second Straight 9-4 in Potomac - Carolina Mudcats
- Late Misses Cost Potomac in 9-4 Loss - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats Edge Dash 8-6 in Extras on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Reeves' Blast Lifts Lynchburg in Extras - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Home Runs Down Wood Ducks 4-2 - Down East Wood Ducks
- Keys Snap Losing Streak - Frederick Keys
- Rocks See Five Game Winning Streak End - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- June 22 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 22 vs. Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 22 vs. Fayetteville - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Bahr Promoted to Double-A Frisco - Down East Wood Ducks
- June 22 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.