Home Runs Down Wood Ducks 4-2
The Wood Ducks took the first lead after Hasuan Viera reached safely on a bunt single and was immediately brought home by a double from Clay Middleton for a 1-0 lead.
Marcus Wilson answered for Salem to knot the contest 1-1 in the fourth inning with an opposite-field home run.
Sam Huff and Yanio Perez connected back-to-back singles, Perez's knock scored Huff to reclaim a 2-1 Woodie's lead after four innings.
Wilson's next plate appearance pulled Salem ahead for the night, this time with a two-run home run to right field to pull ahead 3-2.
Salem found insurance with two outs after Keith Curcio walked and Pedro Castellanos was hit by a pitch when Victor Acosta singled to advance the Sox 4-2 in the top of the seventh inning.
Bryan Mata (win, 3-1) allowed his first runs in twelve innings since returning from the IL. The righty finished after five innings of work, permitting two runs on five hits.
Jefferson Medina (loss, 1-1) gave up three runs on five hits in three innings and struck out two.
The series continues Sunday when the Wood Ducks send righty Reid Anderson ( - , .) to the mound to face off with Salem righty Thad Ward (0-0, 0.00) in his Carolina League debut. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. The broadcast will begin at 12:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on MiLB First Pitch, and TuneIn Radio Apps. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com or call (252) 686-5172.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Woodpeckers Break Through Late to Win Third Straight - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Mudcats Win Second Straight 9-4 in Potomac - Carolina Mudcats
- Late Misses Cost Potomac in 9-4 Loss - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats Edge Dash 8-6 in Extras on Saturday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Reeves' Blast Lifts Lynchburg in Extras - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Home Runs Down Wood Ducks 4-2 - Down East Wood Ducks
- Keys Snap Losing Streak - Frederick Keys
- Rocks See Five Game Winning Streak End - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- June 22 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (June 22 vs. Lynchburg) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: June 22 vs. Fayetteville - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Bahr Promoted to Double-A Frisco - Down East Wood Ducks
- June 22 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.