Jordan Morris Named MLS Player of the Matchday
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris has been voted Major League Soccer Player of the Matchday presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 5 of the 2023 MLS season. Morris scored a club-record four goals in Sounders FC's 4-1 road win over Sporting Kansas City on Saturday at Children's Mercy Park.
Morris became the 16th player in MLS history to score at least four goals in a game, and the first to accomplish the feat on the road since Clint Mathis scored a league-record five goals at Dallas on August 26, 2000. Morris now sits third all-time in club history in both regular-season (49) and all-competition goals (59), passing Clint Dempsey in both categories (47, 57). He now trails only Fredy Montero (58, 76) and Raúl Ruidíaz (59, 73) in scoring.
After Seattle gave up an early goal, Morris logged his first goal of the match in the 23rd minute when he stabbed home a Léo Chú cross. The Rave Green took the lead for good in the 54th minute, with Morris once again taking a pass from Chú and sliding the ball through the arms of the Sporting KC goalkeeper. He completed his hat trick in the 69th minute after Chú found Nicolás Lodeiro in space for a cross to Morris, who smashed it into the net from close range. The Mercer Island native set the club single-match record for goals at the same time Chú set the club single-match record with four assists, with the Brazilian crossing to Morris for a header in the 77th minute.
The U.S. Men's National Team forward now has seven goals through five games on the season, leading the early Golden Boot race and equaling his total set in 2022. Morris' single-season career high is 12 goals, set in 2016 en route to winning MLS Rookie of the Year.
Morris is the first Seattle player to win MLS Player of the Matchday since Raúl Ruidíaz on Matchday 20 of 2021. This is Morris' fourth Player of the Matchday honor, most recently winning for Matchday 11 of 2020. His four honors are now tied with Dempsey and Ruidíaz for the most in Sounders FC history.
The MLS Player of the Matchday is selected each matchday of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Brian Schmetzer's side continues its road stretch against the LA Galaxy on Saturday, April 1 at Dignity Health Sports Park (4:30 p.m. PT / Apple TV - Watch Free, FOX, iHeart Media, El Rey 1360).
Images from this story
Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 27, 2023
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Jordan Morris Named MLS Player of the Matchday - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Host Breaking Barriers, Presented by Procter & Gamble Brands Always and Secret - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Matchday Presented by Continental Tire for Matchday 5 - MLS
- Kévin Cabral's "Willingness and Desire" to Score Comes to Fruition in his First Goal Scored for the Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Rally to Draw Austin FC on the Road - Colorado Rapids
- Debutant Vinicius Mello Shines in Gritty Comeback against the New York Red Bulls - Charlotte FC
- Carlos Terán Selected to MLS Team of the Matchday for Matchday 5 - Chicago Fire FC
- Franco Negri Named to MLS Team of the Matchday - Inter Miami CF
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- (Re)boot Unveils First Collection - Inter Miami CF
- Academy Update: U.S. Soccer U-14 Talent ID Central/South Regional Mini-Camp - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Renews Its Commitment to the Club de la médaille d'or - Club de Foot Montreal
- FC Cincinnati Host Breaking Barriers, Presented by Proctor & Gamble Brands Always and Secret - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Hosts the LA Galaxy this Wednesday as the Rave Green Look to Clinch Postseason Berth
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point with Scoreless Draw at Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Travels to Face Nashville SC Tonight at GEOIDS Park
- Sounders FC Leads MLS with Three Players Among Top 10 Best-Selling Adidas Jerseys in 2023 Regular Season
- Abdoulaye Cissoko Named to 2023 MLS NEXT Pro Best XI