Jacks Shoot Down Bucks with Big Third Period, 4-1
ODESSA, TX - Entering the third period of a tie hockey game, the Odessa Jackalopes scored three goals in the final frame to pull away from the Laredo Bucks for a 4-1 win on Friday night at the Ector County Coliseum. Jeff Pierce and Mike Ramsay each scored two goals in the win for the Jacks.
Sebastien Thinel tallied a pair of assists in the contest to extend his point streak to 11 games, tied for the longest in the CHL this season with Allen's Nino Musitellli. Todd Robinson also added a pair of assists for Odessa (8-11-1).
The scoring began when both teams traded power play goals in the first period as Jeff Bes put the Bucks up at 5:59 on a rebound and Pierce tied it with five minutes remaining in the frame.
The score remained 1-1 until Pierce struck again 3:23 into period three. Robinson capped off an odd-man rush feeding Pierce in front of the net from the left circle to give Odessa their first lead of the hockey game. Ramsay scored the final two goals of the contest to solidify the Odessa win. One score came at the left side of the net at 8:59. His second tally was a slap shot at the top of the right circle that bounced off the post with six minutes to play.
Joel Martin made 18 saves for his fifth win of the season and fourth victory in his last five appearances. Pier Pelletier put together a 42-save effort for Laredo in the loss.
Ramsay's second goal was on the man-advantage to give Odessa two power play goals in the game. Just the second time this season they've scored multiple goals with the extra skater.
The win pulls Odessa into a tie with Laredo (7-9-1) for the sixth spot in the CHL's Berry Conference.
The Jackalopes continue their homestand on Saturday when they welcome the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs to town for first of three meetings this season between the two clubs. The Mudbugs entered play tonight with the best overall record in the CHL at 16-5-0.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2010
- Mallards Outlast Rapid City in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Sundogs Lose Lead, Come from Behind to Top Killer Bees, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Whelan's Hat Trick Continues 'Bugs Struggles with Alle - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Whelan, Americans Squash 'Bugs, 5-4 - Allen Americans
- Mavs Win Third Straight, 4-1, Over Texas - Kansas City Mavericks
- Tulsa Edges RiverKings After 12-Round Shootout - Mississippi RiverKings
- Killer Bees Fall to Arizona 4-3 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Komets Cooled by Thunder 5-3 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Comeback Attempt Falls Just Short for Gems - Dayton Gems
- Penalty-Filled Period Sways Game in Eagles Loss - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Give up Four in Loss Against Mavs - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Jacks Shoot Down Bucks with Big Third Period, 4-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Third Period Dooms Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- PrairieThunder Defeats Fort Wayne 5-3 - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- RiverKings Sign Rookie Forward Auger - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans Make Roster Moves - Allen Americans
- Rush Battle Mallards in First Ever Meeting Tonight at the Civic Center - Rapid City Rush
- Colorado's Kyle Jones Named Sher-Wood Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Fort Wayne Komets Welcome Bloomington Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Weekend Preview - Evansville - Dayton Gems
- RiverKings Start Weekend Play in Tulsa Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Look to Continue Climb Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.