Jacks Hold on for 4-3 Win Over Texas
ODESSA, TX - A four-goal first period for the Odessa Jackalopes proved to be enough in their 4-3 win over the Texas Brahmas on Saturday night at the NYTEX Sports Centre. Four different players scored for the Jacks in the win to pull Odessa within one game of the .500 mark on the year.
Dave Van Drunen, Jeff Pierce on the power play, Kenny Bernard, and Darryl Bootland were the first period goal-scorers for Odessa (12-13-1). After Bootland's tally, Brahmas' starting goaltender Jeff Harvey was pulled in favor of backup Wayne Savage.
From that point on the rest of the offense belonged to Texas (11-9-3). Jim Burichin put the Brahmas on the board 1:26 into the second period. Greg Hogeboom then added a power play goal with less than six minutes to go to make it 4-2.
In the third period Jason Deitch scored midway through to tighten the Odessa lead to one. From there both teams had chances to add to their scores but failed to find the back of the net. The Brahmas had a power play opportunity, with the extra attacker on the ice, in the final 30 seconds of the game.
Joel Martin had 29 saves to win his third straight start, and his seventh in the last 10 appearances.
The Jackalopes will complete their three-game weekend on Sunday at 4:05 PM CST in Tulsa, OK in their first meeting against the Oilers. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 18, 2010
- Sundogs Drop Second Straight to Rush, 4-2 - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles Fall Short in Another Loss to Mavs - Colorado Eagles
- Mavericks Complete Sweep Over Colorado in 4-3 Win - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks Hold on for 4-3 Win Over Texas - Odessa Jackalopes
- Four Goal Deficit Too Much to Overcome for Brahmas - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Americans Slip-Up Against Oilers, Fall 5-0 - Allen Americans
- Komets Clipped by Gems 3-2 - Fort Wayne Komets
- PrairieThunder Rallies Late Over Thunder 5-4 on Saturday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Fall to Bees in 100th Meeting - Laredo Bucks
- Bees Finish Road Trip Perfect, Beat Laredo 5-3 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mudbugs Beat Back RiverKings Comeback Attempt - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mallards Drop Evansville 5-1 - Quad City Mallards
- Gems Complete Comeback to Defeat Fort Wayne 3-2 - Dayton Gems
- Bloomington Rallies Late Over Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Naurato to join Gems in Saturday night's game against Fort Wayne - Dayton Gems
- Bucks, Bees Meet for 100th Time - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Snaps Sundogs' Three-Game Win Streak, 8-2, in Penalty-Filled Contest - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.