Jackalopes Snap Allen's Win Streak with 5-1 Win
ODESSA, TX - Five different players scored for the Odessa Jackalopes on Saturday night as they topped the Allen Americans by a 5-1 final at the Allen Events Center. The win was the third straight for Odessa, and also snapped a franchise-record, seven-game win streak of the Americans.
Joel Martin's 37 save performance was a key in the Odessa victory. Kenny Corupe recorded a pair of points in the game to lead all skaters.
The Jackalopes (5-9-1) scored the only goals of the first period to jump out to a 2-0 lead early in the contest. Corupe's lone goal came when he forced a turnover at the Allen blue-line and skated down the middle of the ice to beat Allen netminder, Chris Whitley, with just under four minutes remaining in the period. Mike Lesperance then scored on a shorthanded breakaway, not even two minutes later, for his third of the season. Both goals were unassisted.
In period two, Mike Ramsay pushed Odessa's lead to 3-0, when he scored from the left circle on a drop pass by Corupe at 6:56. It was Ramsay's seventh of the season and his second straight game with a goal for Odessa. Bruce Graham tallied the only goal of the game for Allen (13-3-0) with a power play marker at the front of the net midway through the frame.
The score stayed 3-1 for the majority of the third period before Jeff Pierce scored on a breakaway and Todd Robinson added an empty-net tally in the final two minutes of the game. Robinson's goal was the second shorthanded marker of the game for the Jackalopes.
Whitley was responsible for all five goals scored against the Americans and finished with 19 saves in the game. Sebastien Thinel extended his point streak to five games for the Jackalopes after assisting on Ramsay's goal.
The win also vaults the Jackalopes to the fifth spot in the Central Hockey League's Berry Conference.
The Jackalopes return home to host the Texas Brahmas on Tuesday at 7:05 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team will begin its 14th season in the Permian Basin in October 2010. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 20, 2010
- Fluky Goal Helps Rush To Win Over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Victory stops two-game Mississippi losing streak - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mavericks Win Third Straight Game, 4-2 Over Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- 'Bugs Come From Behind Again, Beat Bucks Again - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans Win Streak Hi-'Jacked' in Odessa's 5-1 Win - Allen Americans
- Jackalopes Snap Allen's Win Streak with 5-1 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Come Up Short in 4-3 Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Brahmas Lose 4-1 to Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Lehkre Scores Two as Bees Beat Texas 4-1 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- PrairieThunder Comeback Falls Short Against Quad City - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Outlast Bloomington 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Gems Come From Behind to Earn 2-1 Win - Dayton Gems
- Rush Versus Eagles Tonight at the Civic Center - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Battle IceMen in Evansville Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Look to Break out Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.