Iowa Wild Announces Five-Year Lease Extension with Polk County and Spectra Venue Management
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild has agreed in principle with Polk County and Spectra Venue Management, operators of Wells Fargo Arena, on a five-year lease extension, beginning with the 2018-19 AHL season. In addition to the lease extension, the National Hockey League's (NHL) Minnesota Wild announced it will play a 2018 preseason game against St. Louis Blues on Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 7:00 p.m. at Wells Fargo Arena.
"The organization is thrilled to be extending our lease with Polk County and Wells Fargo Arena for another five seasons," said Iowa Wild President Todd Frederickson. "We have an outstanding hockey community here in the Des Moines region. We recently hit our one-millionth fan in January and can't say enough about the support from the fans and corporate partners during our first five seasons here. All of us with the Wild are excited to share the next five years with our fans and be a part of this wonderful community."
"Iowa Wild is a first-class organization who has been fully committed to our community since announcing its move here five years ago," said Angela Connolly, Chair Polk County Board of Supervisors. "We look forward to working with the Wild to build on that foundation during the next five years and beyond."
On April 18, 2013, Minnesota Wild announced an agreement to play at Wells Fargo Arena starting in October later that year with the brand new Iowa Wild. The team played its first-ever game on Oct. 12, 2013, a 1-0 win at Wells Fargo Arena against Oklahoma City Barons.
Through the first four full seasons at Wells Fargo Arena, the Wild averaged 5,839 fans per game. In the team's fifth season, Iowa is averaging 6,013 fans per game.
"Our relationship with Iowa Wild has been tremendous during the last five years and we are truly excited to extend the team's lease agreement, locking the organization into Des Moines and Wells Fargo Arena for an additional five years," said Spectra's Chris Connolly, General Manager of Wells Fargo Arena/Iowa Events Center.
The preseason game between Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues will be the first NHL game at Wells Fargo Arena in its history and the first-ever NHL game played in Iowa.
"We are extremely thankful for the tremendous support we have received from our fans in Iowa over the last five seasons and look forward to playing a preseason game in Des Moines this September," said Minnesota Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher.
Since moving to Iowa, more than 40 players have suited up for both the Minnesota and Iowa Wild, including Jason Zucker, Matt Dumba, Joel Eriksson Ek, Luke Kunin, Alex Stalock, Gustav Olofsson, Mike Reilly and Zach Parise.
Fans who purchase an Iowa Wild season ticket plan will receive free tickets to the NHL preseason game between Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues. Single-game tickets will be available at a later date.
The Iowa Wild 2017-18 season is presented by Mercy Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2018
- Griffins' Point Streak at Eight After 4-3 Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Wolf Pack - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Lost in the Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Kirkland Hat Trick Propels Admirals to Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Earns Shootout Win over Syracuse - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
- Checkers Steamroll Springfield 5-2 in Return Home - Charlotte Checkers
- Total Team Effort Leads Phantoms 5-1 Past Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Shutout Penguins for Second Straight Match-Up - Providence Bruins
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Defeat to Phantoms Friday - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Fall to Bruins, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Tops Cleveland 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Trampled by Moose, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Chaput Grounds Rocket in Comets Overtime Win - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Announces Five-Year Lease Extension with Polk County and Spectra Venue Management - Iowa Wild
- Ads Brave the Elements, Attempt to Cool Hogs Home Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Acquire John Albert and Hubert Labrie - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dahlstrom Recalled by Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- D James De Haas Recalled by Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sergey Zborovskiy Rejoins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Sign David Dziurzynski and Justin Taylor to PTO - Utica Comets
- Rangers Recall John Gilmour from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Assign Brendan Smith to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 131 American Hockey League Alumni Named to 2018 Olympic Rosters - AHL
- Canes Assign Jooris and Kruger to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Condors Bring Back Live Condor Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- St. Louis Blues Recall Defenseman Chris Butler from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Ryan White to Standard Player Contract - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.