Bears Suffer 5-1 Defeat to Phantoms Friday
(Allentown, PA- February 9, 2018)- The Lehigh Valley Phantoms exploded with a four-goal second period en route to a 5-1 win over the Hershey Bears on Friday night at the PPL Center. Corban Knight scored twice in the middle period to put the game out of reach as the Phantoms improved to 5-0-0-0 versus Hershey in Allentown this season.
An evenly matched first period where Hershey led in shots, 9-8, was disrupted by a late Phantoms goal. With 5.5 seconds left in the period, Greg Carey threw a shot on net from a sharp angle, where Nicolas Aube-Kubel banked it past Herhsey goaltender Vitek Vanecek to make it 1-0.
Lehigh Valley extended their lead to 5-0 within the next 20 minutes, and the scoring parade started on the power play. At 5:36, Travis Sanheim blasted a shot from the center point, low to the ice past Vanecek.
At 7:07, the Phantoms capitalized on a Vanecek miscue behind his own net. After leaving the crease to play the puck, Vanecek sent the puck to the tape of Lehigh Valley's Cole Bardreau at the goal line. Bardreau found Knight at the front of the net, and he tallied to extend the lead to 3-0.
Down three, Garrett Mitchell, Zach Sill and Mason Mitchell aggressively pressed deep into the offensive zone on the attack. After a wild cross-ice pass, the loose puck sprung the speedy Lehigh Valley forward Chris Conner for a breakaway. Conner slipped behind the defense and scored five-hole on Vanecek to end his night at 9:29 of the middle period.
Knight tallied a second time in the period to put the contest out of reach before intermission. On a great individual effort by Colin McDonald in the offensive end, he sent a backhand pass from behind the net to Knight crashing the right post. Knight beat Nathan Walker to the puck and beat new Hershey goaltender Pheonix Copley with a shot short side at 17:07.
Hershey would snap Alex Lyon's bid for his first shutout of the season in the third period. At 11:14. Dustin Gazley finished a crisp passing play and fired a quick shot past Lyon's glove hand to cut the deficit to 5-1.
The 5-1 final dropped Hershey's record to 18-23-3-4, while the Phantoms improve to 28-14-3-3. The Bears outshot the Phantoms, 31-25.
The Hershey Bears return to the ice tomorrow at 7 p.m., as they face off against the Hartford Wolf Pack. It's Papa John's Pizza Night at Giant Center, and all fans in attendance will receive a voucher for a free Papa Johns Pizza. It'll also mark the potential debuts of forwards Joe Whitney and Adam Chapie who were acquired via trade from the New York Rangers organization on Friday.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2018
- Griffins' Point Streak at Eight After 4-3 Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Wolf Pack - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Lost in the Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Kirkland Hat Trick Propels Admirals to Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Earns Shootout Win over Syracuse - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
- Checkers Steamroll Springfield 5-2 in Return Home - Charlotte Checkers
- Total Team Effort Leads Phantoms 5-1 Past Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Shutout Penguins for Second Straight Match-Up - Providence Bruins
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Defeat to Phantoms Friday - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Fall to Bruins, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Tops Cleveland 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Trampled by Moose, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Chaput Grounds Rocket in Comets Overtime Win - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Announces Five-Year Lease Extension with Polk County and Spectra Venue Management - Iowa Wild
- Ads Brave the Elements, Attempt to Cool Hogs Home Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Acquire John Albert and Hubert Labrie - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dahlstrom Recalled by Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- D James De Haas Recalled by Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sergey Zborovskiy Rejoins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Sign David Dziurzynski and Justin Taylor to PTO - Utica Comets
- Rangers Recall John Gilmour from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Assign Brendan Smith to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 131 American Hockey League Alumni Named to 2018 Olympic Rosters - AHL
- Canes Assign Jooris and Kruger to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Condors Bring Back Live Condor Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- St. Louis Blues Recall Defenseman Chris Butler from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Ryan White to Standard Player Contract - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.