Crunch Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Wolf Pack
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch climbed back from a two-goal deficit to force overtime, but were topped by the Hartford Wolf Pack, 4-3, in a shootout tonight at the War Memorial Arena.
Despite peppering 46 shots on goal, the Crunch were pushed to a four-game winless streak and drop to 26-17-2-3 on the season. Syracuse finished 1-0-0-1 in the home-and-home season series with Hartford.
Connor Ingram turned aside 12-of-15 shots in net for the Crunch before being relieved by Eddie Pasquale in the middle frame. Pasquale went on to stop all six shots he faced in regulation and went 1-for-3 in the shootout. Alexandar Georgiev stopped 43-of-46 shots between the pipes for the Wolf Pack and turned aside 2-of-3 shooters. Syracuse converted on 1-of-4 power play opportunities and went a perfect 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
Adam Tambellini opened scoring for the Wolf Pack halfway through the first period. He capitalized on a turnover in the slot and beat Ingram unassisted.
The Crunch got on the board just one minute into the second period. Anthony Cirelli passed to Olivier Archambault behind the net. The left winger dug out a centering feed for Alexander Volkov to send home as he cut across the slot.
Ten seconds later, Hartford reclaimed the lead when Filip Chytil did a spin-a-rama in the bottom of the left circle and backhanded the puck underneath Ingram's pads. Cole Schneider got a point for the assist. The Wolf Pack went up by two at the 7:03 mark of the second frame. Chytil carried the puck into the zone and threw a pass over for Ryan Gropp to score from the left wing. Ryan Sproul tallied the secondary helper.
Mitchell Stephens pulled the Crunch back within one while on the power play with 17 seconds remaining in the middle frame. Carter Verhaeghe sent a cross-zone pass for the rookie to fire bar down from the right point. Mathieu Joseph picked up a point for the assist. The Crunch knotted the game for a second time eight minutes into the final stanza. Joseph sped down the right wing and potted a wrister with the help of Verhaeghe and Ben Thomas.
After a scoreless overtime period, the game went to a shootout. Tambellini scored in the first round before Verhaeghe evened it as the first shooter in third round. Gropp followed Verhaeghe with the game-winner to lift the Wolf Pack over the Crunch.
Syracuse hosts the Laval Rocket tomorrow at 7 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: A Crunch rookie has scored in 11 consecutive games...Mathieu Joseph has seven points in his last four games (1g, 6a). He now leads the team in both points (33) and multi-point games (8).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 9, 2018
- Griffins' Point Streak at Eight After 4-3 Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Earn Point in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Wolf Pack - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Lost in the Wild - Chicago Wolves
- Kirkland Hat Trick Propels Admirals to Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Earns Shootout Win over Syracuse - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Earn Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Grand Rapids - San Antonio Rampage
- Checkers Steamroll Springfield 5-2 in Return Home - Charlotte Checkers
- Total Team Effort Leads Phantoms 5-1 Past Rival Hershey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Shutout Penguins for Second Straight Match-Up - Providence Bruins
- Bears Suffer 5-1 Defeat to Phantoms Friday - Hershey Bears
- Penguins Fall to Bruins, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Manitoba Tops Cleveland 4-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Trampled by Moose, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Chaput Grounds Rocket in Comets Overtime Win - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Moves - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Wild Announces Five-Year Lease Extension with Polk County and Spectra Venue Management - Iowa Wild
- Ads Brave the Elements, Attempt to Cool Hogs Home Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Rangers Acquire John Albert and Hubert Labrie - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dahlstrom Recalled by Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- D James De Haas Recalled by Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Sergey Zborovskiy Rejoins Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Comets Sign David Dziurzynski and Justin Taylor to PTO - Utica Comets
- Rangers Recall John Gilmour from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rangers Assign Brendan Smith to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 131 American Hockey League Alumni Named to 2018 Olympic Rosters - AHL
- Canes Assign Jooris and Kruger to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Game Preview: Condors Bring Back Live Condor Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- St. Louis Blues Recall Defenseman Chris Butler from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Iowa Wild Signs Forward Ryan White to Standard Player Contract - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule
- Syracuse Crunch Unveil 25th Season Logo
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to One-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Hubert Labrie to One-Year AHL Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Forward Kevin Lynch to One-Year, Two-Way Contract