Inter Miami CF Selects Mike Ambrose in Stage One of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process
MIAMI, Fla. - Inter Miami CF announced today it has selected former Atlanta United defender Mikey Ambrose in Stage One of the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process. The Club traded up for the No. 1 position earlier this month with FC Cincinnati.
Ambrose, 26, joins Inter Miami after spending the previous three seasons with Atlanta United. The four-year MLS defender has appeared in 25 matches in his professional career, with 20 of those appearances coming for the Five Stripes. Ambrose began his career with Orlando City SC in 2016, logging four starts and five appearances, before being selected by Atlanta United in the 2016 MLS Expansion Draft by the club's then General Manager Paul McDonough, who is Inter Miami's sporting director heading into the inaugural season.
Most notably, Ambrose started for Atlanta in the Club's 2-0 MLS Postseason victory over the Philadelphia Union this past season. A native, of El Paso, Texas, Ambrose went on to play collegiately at the University of Maryland where he appeared in 71 matches.
At the international level, Ambrose represented the United States Men's National Team at the Under-17, U-18, and U-20 levels.
Clubs must exercise the option for, or extend a Bona Fide Offer to, all players selected in Stage One and may not select their own draft-eligible players. Players with option years left on their contract will automatically be added to the drafting club's roster. Should a player reject the offer, the drafting club will hold the Right of First Refusal for that player in MLS.
In addition to signing its 15th player, Inter Miami also owns Homegrown Player Rights for Drakeâ¯Callender (University of California, Berkley). The Club also controls two first-round picks in the SuperDraft which will take place in January.
El Clubâ¯Internacionalâ¯de FÃºtbol Miami, also known as Inter Miami CF, will play its first-ever home match on Saturday, March 14, at 2:30 p.m. ET, against the LA Galaxy at the new 19,000 seat Fort Lauderdale Stadium, where the Club will play for the 2020 and 2021 seasons.
Located off Commercial Boulevard and I-95, the stadium stands adjacent to the Club's new 50,000 square foot state of the art training facility which includes seven professional fields. The facility will be the home to all Inter Miami teams including MLS, USL League One, and Academy. It will also host international clubs, tournaments, and local high school sporting events.
Fans can register today for pre-sale access to Inter Miami's first match in Club history at intermiamicf.com/tickets/home-debut. The full 2020 MLS schedule will be announced at a later date.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 26, 2019
- FC Dallas Acquires Philadelphia Union Winger Fafa Picault - FC Dallas
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $375,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Dallas - Philadelphia Union
- Jordan Morris Nominated for 2019 U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Selects Mike Ambrose in Stage One of 2019 MLS Re-Entry Process - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC, Sporting KC, and New York Red Bulls Acquire Players in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Process - MLS
- New York Red Bulls Select Kendall McIntosh in 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville SC Trades for 2nd Overall Pick in the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft Stage 1 to Select Eric Miller - Nashville SC
- Sporting Acquires Richard Sanchez in Re-Entry Draft - Sporting Kansas City
- Matt Hedges Signs New Contract with FC Dallas - FC Dallas
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2022 MLS SuperDraft Second Round Selection - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes, Verizon to Offer Fans Enhanced Matchday Experience - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires First Round Draft Pick from Seattle Sounders FC - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Acquires Goalkeeper Stefan Cleveland from Chicago Fire - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York City FC Signs Academy Product Tayvon Gray Who Becomes First Bronx Native to Sign with NYCFC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.